Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
It runs, but I think I have an issue!!  Please take a look and lend a hand!!! >

It runs, but I think I have an issue!! Please take a look and lend a hand!!!

Notices

It runs, but I think I have an issue!! Please take a look and lend a hand!!!

Old 05-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation It runs, but I think I have an issue!! Please take a look and lend a hand!!!

Motor runs like a watch. No noises other than the bumpy idle.

BUT, in the driveway my water temp creeps up towards 180 in less than 8 minutes of running at less than 1500 rpm. I have good water supply, and lots of water out the exhaust. Brand new impeller two days ago. Could the new 75 amp alternator I installed have anything to do with it? The needle bounces a little when you rev it a bit. As does the oil pressure gauge, it bounces back and fourth to the tune of about 10 psi or so. Brand new sender today for that gauge. Wrong one???

I ran the motor about 30-60 seconds with the block plugs out, and got good flow of water out both sides. Replaced the t-stat today also with a 140* unit. Old one looked o.k. still.

I did ingest a LOT of sand last fall. BUT, I ran it a few times after that and did not have this issue.

HELP!!!!! Any suggestions??? I leave for LOTO in less than 12 hours!

'Foul
Old 05-20-2003, 08:12 PM
bobby daniels

Hard to fix with out being there ,,BUT check the oil cooler for trash ect ,alot of times running on the hose they will heat, but I very much dobt its the ALT.
is the timing right ?? it maybe the gauge ?? have and I.R. gun ??

Old 05-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
Look for a loose ground wire for the gauges. It may be telling you false info. Any way to check the water temp in the block. Put a cooking thermometer on the intake manifold on one of the water passages. It wont be accurate, but if it reads 180 then you know the gauge is right and you have a problem.
Good luck, hope you find it. Sorry I can t lend a hand.

Dick
Old 05-20-2003, 09:07 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

To much timing? Hard to say without being there. I would also check the gauge panel grounds. All of them. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I ran it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge and it did just what it should do, went up with more throttle, and down with less. Leaked all over the bilge too since Dyno used it last!! Dyno, WE need new hose for the gauge.

Changed the oil. Came out just like it went in. Golden. No milk. Oil in the filter also looks good. No milk on the oil caps on either valve cover. No steam or anything from the breathers. It has about 40 total running minutes on it since yesterday. New bearings, so I used some cheap oil first, and have now replaced it with Mobile One synth.

Could the tap water at my house be too cold to allow the t-stat to open???

'Foul
Old 05-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure yo hae all the hoses right??? If you had good water flow from the exhaust then you are getting enough water to the motor. It may not be going where it is saposed to go. The water may be bypassing the engine and just going out the exhaust.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Steve, I'm positive I have the hoses right. We never took the t-stat housing off when we changed the bearings. And the hoses that go to the risors will not even reach the manifold inlet, so they cannot be wrong. I am going to take the hose off the oil cooler and check that out tomorrow when I get to LOTO. I'm hoping it's all related to the tap water. We'll find out tomorrow I guess!!!

'Foul
Old 05-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Registered

I would agree with tinker boater, the water is going past the motor throught the exhaust, normaly when you run on a hose it does the opposite of what yours is doing, they have a hard time coming to full temperature.

Does your thermostat housing have the plastic balls in it? maybe they are stopping the water from going to the block or restricting it to much.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I would put it in the water when you get to LOTO and let it run and see if it still does it, then if you have to, check the oil cooler.

Good Luck. Have a safe trip down and see you Thurs night. I think I'll be there by 7-8 pm and I'll give ya a call when I get close.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I took the balls out. I ran it with the block plugs out, and they flowed plenty of water. That means the block is getting water, right???

Quick Reply: It runs, but I think I have an issue!! Please take a look and lend a hand!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.