Notices

What is a WORLD CHAMPION?

Old 05-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default World Champions?????

Back to X-caliber's original question - here is my opinion.

It depends on the sport - In pro football it is the the guy who was good enough to get a college scholarship........ who was good enough to get drafted to the NFL....who was lucky enough to be on a team of those that believed in "teamwork" enough to win it all.

In individual track competition - it is the student that works his ass off and gets a college scholarship......who works to become national champion........ then qualifies to compete as a professional. After being invited to participate in select events, (because of his/her years of effort), he/she beats the best of the best, and becomes World Champion.

In Offshore Powerboat Racing, it is the guy that decides to "go racing" and has deep enough pockets to do it right.

Years of qualification to participate? No, just start at the rear of the pack in the first race.

Drafted to the "big leagues"? No, $500 to $2,000 per race will buy you a seat in a race boat.

Licensed to compete? No, pay those membership fees and you are side by side with those that have been racing for 20 years.

I am not trying to bash anyone, but face it - offshore is a sport of those that are willing to participate, not those that have qualified to participate.

I raced from 1999 to 2001, so I am not taking shots at racers. Mike Tomlinson used to say at the driver's meetings that we were "the best of the best". Does that really mean that we were the best of those few that were willing to spend the money to participate?

Food for thought, and one person's opinion.....that's all.

Last edited by Phantom1; 05-24-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer - World Champs are crowned in Key West after the two race scores are combined.

National Champs are crowned once the race scores are combined for point earned at national races throughout the season.

When you go to Key West or wherever the world championships are held, the slate is wiped clean and all teams have a shot at the title.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joker STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!! my ****ing stomach hurts from laughing sooooo much
Old 05-25-2003, 08:48 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking diversion

I was actually trying to divert around the original question - haha . Some certain people like to follow me around on here too - BH
Old 05-25-2003, 11:45 AM
NEXTASEX

I think Ron P is correct. My friend raced his 36ft daytona at the worlds when they came to new orleans and had never raced a single race before that weekend. He won and got to recieve a trophy from Reggie and was crowned "world champion". It was fun for all involved and winning made it even better but we never made to big a deal about the World Champion stuff except when joking around with him.