Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   "Bashing"...What the heck does it mean? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/50719-bashing-what-heck-does-mean.html)

T2x 05-23-2003 12:32 PM

"Bashing"...What the heck does it mean?

There is a new defensive technique in debate involving the claim that an opponent is "bashing" you or your associate or associated interest. This is generally based on some unwritten PC rule that bashing is a bad and unfair thing and , therefore, is not an accepted form of communication. This accusation is similar to being branded a fascist, or a rascist, or anti-something or other.

I agree that "label libeling" or perjoratives (be they gender, racial, religious or sexual persuasion based) are not acceptable under any circumstances (I.E. "The dirty so and so").....However, recently some honest questions and critiques have been labeled "bashing"..... If you follow the history of propagandist movements, creative manipulation of conversation, speeches and print media have been part and parcel of their efforts. Look no further than the Clintons or Al "Sharpie" Sharpton for examples of this in present day politics ("It all depends on what your definition of "is" is....."). Another useful technique is to create a lie loudly and then have a bunch of sycophants trumpet the same nonsense seemingly in unison. (I.E. "That's bashing!"..... "Yeah I think that's bashing too!"..."Me too"...."Me Three"...."Me Four"...etc etc, ) The result of this is follow up efforts to wit: " A lot of people are saying that you bashed so and so....not me particularly...but a lot of people".... Smarmy reporters use this all the time.........

I wonder if it ever happens here on OSO?;)

T2x............ humbly offering something to think about

PhantomChaos 05-23-2003 12:34 PM

Keep it up T2x and you'll be next after Joey! :D :D :D :D

T2x 05-23-2003 12:40 PM

L’audace, l’audace, tout jour l’audace

T2x:p :p :p

PhantomChaos 05-23-2003 12:44 PM

All day Audacity? :D

CigDaze 05-23-2003 12:45 PM

Quit bashing OSO, T2x!!!

In all seriousness, it can get a little silly sometimes...Constructive criticism or a negative opinion isn't bashing! But to some it is!

When someone repeatedly spouts the same negative tirade directed at a single entitity(person or company, etc.), that's bashing.

Than again, I always thought a baseball bat to the head was bashing....

Bash away...;)

audacity 05-23-2003 12:47 PM

sweet!!! my very own personal thread just for me! :D

Sean 05-23-2003 12:49 PM

Rich,

you need to get that skater in the water and go for a blast man...

funny stuff!!

:D :D

cuda 05-23-2003 12:49 PM

I consider it bashing when there are unsubstantiated accusations, or criticisms. If a person can back up their claim, it's not bashing, just a fact. Of course once the horse has been killed, their is no reason to keep beating it.

Pete B 05-23-2003 12:53 PM

Joey,
see all the positive energy you release, people are talkin about you man, youve made it to the big time , i know you explained the name audacity but is that a self proclaimed name?? i am afaid if it is, it will have to change!, the power of the board may have to give you another! you know what happen to Randy!!

Shane 05-23-2003 12:57 PM

Bashing: The opportunity for Fred Cecil to relaease the creative genes that are ordinarily over come by flame broiling bugers and cleaning fry vats. This most unique of behaviors is usually directed toward a rather feeble individual that has no self esteem and is generally is poor physical condition.:p