Notices

Paging Riskybusiness

Old 05-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Paging Riskybusiness

RB,

Did you buy your boat from a guy in upstate NY by the name of Darrol Hudson?
Old 05-23-2003, 04:14 PM
riskybusiness

Shane: I can only assume the boat to which you are referring is the one pictured in my avatar......

I sincerely wish I could claim ownership of it (24' Banana). Actually, it's not mine , nor am I (yet) in the financial league of any boat worthy enough to justify my presence on this board.

The boat pictured in my avatar was Mike Snow's first Team Banana race boat, B73, vintage 1987 or so. He sold it, and had us build a "dedicated" race boat from the same molds (his first was little more than a stock pleasure boat). I don't know who bought it from him, or where it ended up. 'Could been with Darrel Hudson.

I was a boatbuilder/rigger/certified Merc tech some years ago at Banana Boat Ltd. in Providence, RI. 'Built the 24' Bananas there for about 4 years, 8 or 10 per year (hence the avatar--I consider myself the unnoficial proud spokesman of the no-longer-existent, purely fictitious Banana Race Team, based on little more than my pride in having built the race boats) I went on to tech at a Donzi dealer on Lake Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro, NH (Goodhue Hawkins Navy Yard) .

So, while I've got some great experience behind the sticks, and my heart is and has always been in go-fasts of any and all configurations, my budget still has some catching up to do, and the 18' Boston Whaler will have to do for now....(still paying for 'Grad school, the M.B.A. has not yet led to the "mega-bank-account", and have since acquired a beautiful wife, and two beautiful (read: expensive) daughters).

The fastest boat I own at the moment is a class "b" outboard 3-point hydro, good for about 60 MPH. Lotsa fun for a piece of plywood!

Old 05-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Registered

Question

Hey Risky Biz ,

What year was the first Banana Boat built?

I saw one advertised as a 1980. Just wondering if it was a misprint. I went to look at it.

It was all black, looked like it was painted with a mop. Had a nice motor, 225 Merc.

I think he wanted $4995.00.

Brand new trailer ta boot. Good deal, but a definate fixer upper since the fuel tank was missing.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:48 PM
riskybusiness

Dog:

1980 probably was not a misprint.

I started working there in 1988, and they had been building 'em for several years prior, so that sounds about right.

That particular one does sound like a project boat, though.

Putting a new fuel tank in one means either getting out the ol' sawzall and raping the cockpit floor, or lifting the whole deck up.

By now, the transom on it probably needs some love, too (unless it's been a single engine all it's life).

Old 05-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Registered

It was a twin, then the last owner rebuilt the transom and put on a single engine.

I think it has sold.

I don't see it advertised anymore...

Speaking of twins. If I ever get my second motor rebuilt. Do I have to buy a completely different steering system or can I just attatched my current set up with a bar or something???