Notices

Dedicated Team

Old 05-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dedicated Team

As an Outlaw Performance team, we don't get a whole lot of attention. ESPN and OLN don't film us when we race by, the local papers and national boating magazines walk by when they're choosing boats to focus their story on, and there certainly isn't much for monetary reward if we win. BUT, we take our Magnum named "Vixen" to the venues and race hard for the thrill of the sport and because it brings our family together for a common goal. There is no "crew" other than 2 men, 2 women, and 2 small children. We do it ALL.

We recently had a wild hair...and decided to run not only the APBA Marathon race but drive home and run the SBI Fort Myers race in our hometown the following day. In a perfect world, that would have been a good plan. Unfortunately, we didn't get to race Fort Myers...but it wasn't because we didn't try!
During the Marathon race on Saturday, 2 of the 4 stainless blades on Vixen's propeller sheared off and after 6 1/2 laps of a 7 lap race, the engine seized up and Vixen had to be towed in. Once on the trailer, we had to get an official to remove the GPS box, go to the motel to load up and head back to Fort Myers because now the engine AND outdrive had to be changed BEFORE we could go out and run the race on Sunday! Nobody ever said, "we can't do this", we just loaded up and hauled a$$! The only meals we had all day came out of a bottle of gatorade! We got on the road for home at 5:00pm (WAY BEHIND SCHEDULE!). One cell phone call was made to Fort Myers and a NEW outdrive was to be delivered Sunday morning at 7:00am! A stop in Homestead at a place that sold gas and chicken was the only stop we made before pulling into Fort Myers at 8:30PM. Wouldn't you know it, it was raining...another obstacle! We broke a few speed records but by 10:30pm, the engine was out.
Our best backup engine was installed and cranked over at 1:00am. Fortunately, the neighbors in this residential neighborhood are understanding! The racing uniforms were washed, pressed, and SBI patches sewn BACK ON to be compliant with the rules.

At 8:00am the new outdrive was installed (and of course a new 4 blade prop)...but no time to test run. Mel and Dave went to physicals, inspections, and the driver's meeting only to find out that our Marathon placement had been taken away because of some question about the number size on the boat. That was disheartening BUT we can run Fort Myers and get another chance at a checkered flag!
We launched Vixen at 11:00am so we could head for the wet pits and despite all the efforts from our little team, we had no forward and no reverse. It was done. We went home.

In the big picture, APBA reversed their decision and we now have the 2nd place finish for Marathon. SBI is giving us another chance to run again in Marathon since we scratched our entry in Fort Myers. More importantly however, our "little team" pulled together and worked as a team for the greater good and I am proud of my father Mel, my husband Dave, and my mother Ellen.

So, for those of you who think that the Outlaw Performance classes are just for those "weekend warriors" who take their go-fast pleasureboats out for the races...think of us and remember that we try just as hard as the bigger teams.

Jerri
Shevixen

Last edited by Shevixen; 05-25-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Registered

Jerri,

Sounds like you would be a great team for our documentary. Check out the post on Media Coverage Documentary at the Cincinnati Offshore Grand Prix June 13-15. If needed, I can also get you some free rooms at the host hotel.

www.cincinnatirace.com

Terrah Lee
Old 05-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Registered

Thank You for the offer Terrah Lee.

We are flattered, but we only race in Florida. The racing is something that we do as a family and while we want to remain competitive, leaving the state of Florida just isn't something that we want to do. With 2 small kids and 3 out of 4 of us maintaining professional careers in the medical field, long trips out of the state with the boat just doesn't fit into our lifestyle. Maybe someday!

We would love to be a part of your documentary but we are not participating in the Ohio racing event. If in the future you decide to cover a Florida race that we are participating in, drop me an e-mail and we'll get together and talk. [email protected]

Thank You again for your interest!

Jerri Howard
Shevixen
Vixen P5-16
Old 05-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Banned

Jerri, were you staying at the Sombrero Resort in Marathon?
Old 05-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Registered

Cuda:

We stayed at The Ramada for the APBA race but we were at the Sombrero pool on Friday so the guys could take their swim test.

We'll be staying at the Sombrero Resort for the June 15th race. The one bedroom condos were only $85.00/night. Beats what the flea bags are charging!

Last edited by Shevixen; 05-25-2003 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Banned

We saw two Vixen trucks at Sombrero, we stopped by to see the dunking, but I think we just missed it. I think we saw you by the pool with your husband. Did you have a red and white suit on? We were at the Tiki Bar having a beer.
Old 05-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW... not much more to say...
Old 05-26-2003, 01:44 AM
Registered

You think you've got problems?????

My board name is Bulldog and I really, really need that little puppy smilie (third row, last smilie on the right) but when I try to use it, it screws up.

I therefore have to use the alias BullFrog, in order to have a compatible Smilie

I don't understand what a frog has to do with a 'SheVixen', but I WILL figure it out!

Bulldog aka BullFrog

Boat #1- Kaama, 38 Larry Smith Scarab formerly owned by Betty Cook.

Boat #2 - Mini Me, 17 ft Bayliner runabout really owned by my wife (Hi nice lady) and soon to be APBA and SBI champion if I swap power from boat #1.

PS I stopped at that gas and chicken place in Homestead. The nighmares still occur, but I'll be OK an another five years or so.

Last edited by Bulldog; 05-26-2003 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:47 AM
Registered

They fixed the puppy smilie!!!!!!!!!!!!
All is good!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I will still use Bullfrog occasionally, for covert operations requiring an alias.

Oh yeah- Good luck with your race team! and sorry to hear about breaking so much stuff at one time.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 05-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Registered

Hey Cuda:

Our guys were the last ones to do the swim test. In fact, they assisted the APBA officials in hauling the dunker tester back to the truck. There wasn't anyone sitting at the tiki bar when we got there and we were all wearing black and white attire.

We did hang around long enough to get a pizza. George from Deranged was there with his crew at the same time.

We'll have to hook up for a hello at one of the upcoming Florida venues.

Shevixen

Quick Reply: Dedicated Team

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.