If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Took delivery of 45 Excalibur...

I just took delivery of a leftover new 2001 45 wellcraft excalibur. It is powered by twin 502s. What RPMS should these motors turn? I am only getting 4500 to 4600. I thought that 502s max out at 5000? Top speed is right about 50 on speedo. I have not checked with GPS yet. The boat is awesome and handles the water great, i would just like a little more speed. Can the duoprops be labbed? Any other suggestions other than also getting a 32 skater to play around with. I am thinking if i can get the motors to 5000 rpms, I should be in the mid 50s with low fuel. Thanks!!

Deland, Florida
    Congratulations! Ever since you posted about this boat, I can't get it off my mind. I think it was a great buy for a very good looking boat. Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks....I just need to get it dialed in..... Msybe APBA can start a sportcruiser class!!!

Flaoffshore, if those 502's are fresh, they probably need some break-in time before they'll loosen up; I know my 502 needed a few hours under its belt before it was "right."

When we first got our boat (28' Powerquest, 502), it was down on rpms and power. I followed Merc's break-in instructions, and after a couple weeks, it was pulling 5000 rpm and running 65-66 mph, just like it was supposed to.

Good luck, sounds like a heck of a boat.

My Boats:
    98 NORTECH 5000V
    Stafford Va.
    Wipple Charger's