If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Platinum Member Platinum Member Mag27's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1972 Magnum 27 vixen
    Fort Myers, Florida

Angry Bad ending to a fun day

My driver Dave who is a fireman and capt. of the rescue boat for the fire dept.stopped by this morning after comming off his 24 hour shift and said,;had a bad one last night dad:It seems about 10pm these two couples were coming around the so. end of Sanibel in a 32ft go fast boat about 55 or better in the dark and hit the sandbar off the Sanibel light. Dave wasnt sure of the make of boat in the dark, too busy trying to save one mans life.When all said and done 3 injured i dead.What a hell of a waist. MEL TEAM VIXEN
    Vixen Racing

My Boats:
    330 Carver 30' Scarab Panther 17' ProV Lund
    That's a real shame Mel. We need to all consider the fact that speed and darkness are not friend. Caution is advisable after dark. Hope everyone else come out ok.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Another stark reminder, that speed at night is a very bad idea.

Hate to put a dark shadow on everyone but with boats being getting faster and faster all the time. How long will it be before "Big Brother" in their infinite wisdom will start looking into restrictions on rivers and lakes.

I was at LakeCumberland over the weekend. As a big Sonic pulled away from the dock I overheard a couple talking about how dangerous the lake was getting with all the H/P "speed" boats around.

My Boats:
    2005 288 SUNSATION
    friday night on the hudson river in NY, I was on my jetski, when a 30 something sutphen w/ tripple 2.5 o/b's came FLYING by at over 100 mph... not even five minutes later we pulled in a TREE, the thing had to be about 2 ft. in diameter and about 40 feet long, then we went back out and pulled in a 25 ft telephone pole with the steele steps still in it, the night before we pulled out a 35 gallon drum floating about 2 inches below the surface... .. talk about dangerous...
    Last edited by Chris232; 06-02-2003 at 08:30 AM.

Charter Member Charter Member ActiveThunderTodd's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '99 32' Active Thunder
    Roscoe, Illinois
    Anymore info on what kind of boat and if they were OSO people or not??

Deland, Florida
    I don't care how well you know the waters, traveling that speed at night is completely irresponsible, and a perfect recipe for the disaster that happened. Most likely the couple that were riding didn't know any better and was sure the pilot knew what he was doing.

AT Cult Member #3 VIP Member R Addiction's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '99 Active Thunder Tantrum
    We made a 40 mile run one night to get to a 4th of July get together.........all went well at 20 mph. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Boater Dies in Accident
    Dateline: June 1, 2003 -

(WFTX Newsroom) Sanibel Island, FL : The accident took place a half mile south of the Sanibel Lighthouse. When the boat hit the sandbar 46 year old Glenn York was thrown forward, into the boat's cabin causing him to go into cardiac arrest. York was flown to South Park Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities tell FOX 4 News they found a large amount of alcohol on board, but it is not determined if it played a part in the accident.