Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   anybody here who has turbine engined boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51427-anybody-here-who-has-turbine-engined-boat.html)

timucin 06-02-2003 03:52 PM

anybody here who has turbine engined boat?

i am wondering too much about turbine engines and planning to have a turbine powered boat for future but i dont know too much about them.actually i know nothing about them except
''turbine engines are much lighter and powerful ''
what are the disadvantages of them?
are they hard to maintain?
is it hard to find parts?
can i find used engine+drive complete system?if yes what would be the app. price ?

it would be very nice to hear any idea or experience .
thnx in advance...

HyperBaja 06-02-2003 04:24 PM

From what I have heard turbines last for thousands of hours w/o rebuilds.

timucin 06-02-2003 07:34 PM

ttt

Ron P 06-02-2003 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been on one but never saw the engine bay. I know Howard Arneson is one of the men that can install these properly.

The engines are maintained as per FAA guidlines and time frames. The gearbox, drives and props take the abuse.

gdfatha 06-02-2003 08:51 PM

Timucin

Here is a linke to the unlimited hydroplane thread site. They all run turbines..

I'm certain they would help you..

(you may have to sign on to join the list..

[email protected]

timucin 06-02-2003 09:09 PM

thnx gdfatha but where is the link?
:)

gdfatha 06-02-2003 09:18 PM

Ooops

Yhe web site is different than this one. It's the old way..You send an E-mail to:

[email protected]

Introduce yourself..And explain your situation. Thenyou will get e-mail responses from whoever wishes to reply to your question.

Once you are a member of the list, you will be notified whenever someone writes an e-mail to the list.

timucin 06-02-2003 09:24 PM

thnx too much!

tachyon 06-02-2003 09:47 PM

Best setup would be T53/T58 turbine to a Super Cyborg transmission to a #6. Turbines would cost you approx. 80k marinized w/ approx. 1500hp on diesel/kerosene. It's a hot section aft turbine so exhaust is not a problem...water-jacket like any other.

There are many configurations (i.e. shaft drives, crashboxes, etc) but this one is very practical. Considsiderably lighter than a blown engine of comparable power and very reliable...the turbine will outlast all other drive components. This would be a powerplant you could run all season w/o problems.

Contact John Cosker at Marine Performance if you're serious. He can be PM'd here at "Marine Performance". He rigged/maintains the Callan turbine boats.

timucin 06-02-2003 10:21 PM

tachyon;
with your estimation two engines including tranies,drives,control panels will cost smthng between 250-300k. i dont think i will be serious with these numbers . :)
thnx for help