Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Avanti Powerboats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51446-avanti-powerboats.html)

gofastwannabe 06-02-2003 07:21 PM

Avanti Powerboats

Someone tell me about Avanti Powerboats. They seem to have been around awhile. Are they the old Excalibur Hull? Who designed them and do they handle rough water? I have never seen any posts about them on this boad! They look kind of dated and inexpensive.
Thanks,
Ted

blueamerican 06-02-2003 07:36 PM

Ted,
I am not sure if their 27' is an Exc. but the larger 33-40 are Dennis's own mold. I had a 27' Avanti back in 1986 with a 575Merc w/#3, boat ran over 80 and handled well, considering the narrow beam (7'). This package was expensive, considering the price of a big merc & #3 for the 80's. They are built locally in Palmyra, NJ call Dennis Friedman the owner.

Pure Energy 06-02-2003 07:45 PM

Try doing a search on the board. There have been some treads about Avanti, and some were not good. I personally have no knowledge but I like the way they look.

Payton 06-02-2003 07:46 PM

You can also buy them in various satges fo finsh and do the reat yourself. Here is a link
boat kits

gofastwannabe 06-02-2003 07:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys. The "Boat Kit" thing is a good idea, I wonder why more factories are not doing this. I also like the retro look of the 27' but was wondering about rough water handling. I also heard they have quality issues but have never been in one so I have no personal experience. That's why I'm asking.
Thanks,
Ted

American Xtreme 06-02-2003 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I was selling used boats I got to spend a lot of time in a 27 with worked twin Merc bridgeports. An honest 78-80mph. The 7' beam cuts like a knife thru slop and has won races, back in the day. Naturally, it rolls a lot at rest. It also tends to porpoise unless you drop the tabs. Dennis is known as a renegade, as he only sells factory direct, with no dealers.
The best thing about the boats is that you'll always find a buyer, at least in the greater NJ area. Many swear by this boat. Getting out of a boat is an important consideration. I surprised to hear that the sides were wavy on a new boat. They remind me of older Hustlers. Rock solid, but with questionable fit n' finish.
Great traditional non-step vees that are a heavy lay up, (I'm an Apache fan). Prices for new are exhorbitent, but some good used deals around.

CAP071 06-03-2003 05:52 AM

I live 5 mins from the place.
My buddy owned a 27 it was a nice ride in chop, but it was kinda old in it's looks and fashion with the interior. Dennis is not the greatest person to deal with when it comes to customer service.
Do a search on AVANTI I was looking at repo'ed 32 with 500's it was listed on boattrader. From what I been told by past owners is they are an Ok boat but don't expect any Factory support from the place

And resale is very hard outside of the area, he has several on his parking lot as we speak I seen them today.

HiPerf2000 06-03-2003 08:31 AM

i was at the factory (or should i say 2 car garage) on Friday to check out a used boat they have been advertising for 2 months.
When i got there and asked to see the boat they told me it wouldn't be there for a couple weeks :rolleyes: , but asked if i was interested in anything else.

i told them i would walk around to see what they had. When checking around the back side of the building i noticed a couple molds just laying sidways near the back fence. looked like a trash dump.

The back garage doors were open and there was loud mexican music blasting. When i peeked in to check the progress of new boat being built, there was more fun being had than boat building. most of them were under 25 yrs old and looked like straight thugs.

So i can see how the wavy sides may have got into the 33 at the NY show :)

baja27 06-03-2003 08:41 AM

Can you say Junk! I'm with you Hi-Per-2000.

Tantrum 06-03-2003 09:16 AM

Originally posted by gofastwannabe
Thanks for the info guys. The "Boat Kit" thing is a good idea, I wonder why more factories are not doing this..... I also heard they have quality issues but have never been in one so I have no personal experience. That's why I'm asking. Thanks,Ted
The boat kit may very well be what is causing all the sceptisism. The biulder loses all quality control over the finished boat if he sells them unrigged. I guess if you had one rigged by someone that knew what they were doing you would be ok..but if not :confused: