Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   A Big Win For NJ Powerboaters! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51542-big-win-nj-powerboaters.html)

DaveP 06-03-2003 11:47 PM

A Big Win For NJ Powerboaters!

Hello Everyone,

Attached is an email I received from John Shanahan who is the head of Boating Safety Institute of America. Johh has officially been appointed to the NJ Boat Regulation Commission. This is a very positive appointment! John has been with us "side by side" in the battle against boat speed limits in New Jersey. His recent appointment to the commission will ensure that we, the powerboating community, will receive fair and equitable representation when in comes to matters that concern us.

Please help in congratulating him! John's email address is: [email protected]

Here is the recent email I received from him:
************************************************** *********************************************
Dear Friends,

I am pleased to advise that the New Jersey Senate voted this afternoon to "advise and consent" to my nomination by Governor McGreevey to serve as a member of the NJ Boat Regulation Commission. This last step makes it official and I will take my seat at the next BRC meeting on Wednesday, July 9, 10:00 am at the Bay Head Yacht Club.

This has been a long process to secure representation on this important regulatory body for our industry. I'd like to say "thank you" to each and every one of you for your help and support in making this effort successful. The statute that sets up the BRC provides for a seat on the Commission to be reserved for a "representative of the marine industry." That seat has been empty since the death of John Haberstroh some years ago. It was John who encouraged me to offer myself as a candidate shortly before he died -- and that process has taken four years to complete. Three of our NJ MTA presidents -- George Francis, Joe Stewart and now, Paul Terzian -- have been very helpful in making this happen. Melissa Danko and our governmental affairs representative, Rob Nixon, have done a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes. And Dave Patnaude and his NJ Performance Powerboat team have rallied to help as well. I understand very clearly that this appointment represents a group effort by all of you. I will discharge my duties in a manner that respects and honors the efforts that all of you have put forth.

I have been especially fortunate to have been selected to fill a new term that has nearly 4 years to run on it. My term actually began on April 1st of this year and has been filled by the holdover member, Gerald Nelson, until this appointment could be completed. This 4-year term gives us time to lay out a strategy for what we wish to accomplish through my work on the BRC and to see it through. I have some more thoughts on this that I'd like to outline during our Board meeting next week.

I count this as good news for our industry and for the promotion of boating in New Jersey. I wanted to share it with you. Thanks again for all that you've done to make it possible.

John Shanahan
Boating Safety Institute of America
Toll Free: 800-237-1708
On the Web: www.BoatSafety.org

Shane 06-04-2003 07:21 AM

Good to hear and best of luck!

AugiePensa 06-04-2003 10:37 AM

Dave, just sent John an E-Mail. Thanks Augie.

DaveP 06-04-2003 11:52 AM

Thanks Augie!

Your support is greatly appreciated!

boot 06-04-2003 12:56 PM

Hey Dave , What's up with the NO WAKE ZONE CRAP on the Metedikonk rive (SP) ? Will the boats going in and out of Skaterfest be NO WAKING it all the way up and down the river ?:mad:

JOE

DaveP 06-04-2003 01:07 PM

Boot - rumors my friend.........rumors

Roger Brown's plan was that but the entire length of the Metedeconk is 100% open running with the exception of Beaver Dam Creek to the Canal.

C_Spray 06-04-2003 01:27 PM

Dave - After you sent out the email last week, I called his office last week and left a message thanking him for his efforts, fairness and time. His secretary called me back Monday to see what I wanted - she couldn't believe that anyone would call just to say "thanks" without wanting something in return. :D

boot 06-04-2003 10:32 PM

"rumors my friend.........rumors "

Waaaaahooooooooo !!:D :D

Hammertime !!!:cool: