Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Whippled or Not (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51602-whippled-not.html)

dhlaw 06-04-2003 08:13 PM

If my insurance were any higher.......... I am not worried.

dreamboater 06-05-2003 05:05 AM

When you test the boat for the first time you need to check fuel pressure under full boost which is what we were doing with the drives let go but they were regular bravos not xr's. With the bravos 1.5 gears we were turning 36 bravo 1 props. The boat chined walked about 4 to 5 times and yeah only about 40 seconds or so under full boost was all it took. I know the xr's a quite a bit stronger however your cig is probably at least 1000 pounds heavier depending on year of boat.

Raypanic 06-05-2003 05:44 AM

My whipples on 502's have been turn-key. The key is to have some one that knows what they are doing perform the mods. Having a dyno (In my mind) is a must. The can run each engine and make adjustments as needed to the programming fuel pressure ect. There are things that should be done to the engine too like better valves and checking clearances. Even as the kits are an add on system I would for sure spend the extra 500 or so and have them dynoed.

You have to look at the difference in speed the 100Hp would actually give you on your application and compare that against having "stock" engines as opposed to modified engines.

As far as lasting longer? If both motors are running the same boost and the modded engine was done right I would say they could be considered equal in longevity. You could on the other hand build the modded motor better than stock that would add to the durability too.

The other thing is service, If you live close to the engine builder that should be a consideration too. The merc you can have serviced almost anywhere.

29scarab 06-05-2003 05:53 AM

kcgbjc

Hey dude!!

I love mine!!!! Turn key is right once its tuned. I had a few problems with blower surge, but once they adjusted it,,,,,

All I can say is WOW!!!!

LambRB 06-05-2003 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed mine 2 weeks ago on a 30' Spectre 500 hp carb motors. There is a lot of extra work that needs to be done, but I will promise you that no other kit will give you the instant power of the whipple. Very turn key!! I went to the Imco extreme SC drives. Do not use bravos, unless they are XR's!!!
If you have the carb motors, buy the whipples hands down. If you have the efi, I will do the research for you on them. I have seen the carb kits run , but not the efi's.

Von Bongo 06-05-2003 07:17 AM

Whipple if I already had the 502 or a 525/575 if it was a new boat and I wanted to resell it 2-5 years down the line.

Wardey 06-05-2003 08:30 AM

I've been wondering the same about the Whipple Charger also. I'm hearing they make the 496HO package really scream. Wardey

29scarab 06-05-2003 08:35 AM

Wardey,

If I remember correctly I think one of the boating magazines had a write up on it. Had nothing but great numbers on the chart!

kcgbjc 06-05-2003 11:19 AM

Thanks for all your help guys.

I don't push an engine too hard. I will have it at top speed very seldomly. Cruising between 60 and 70 (the boat should go 80) is just fine for me.

I think I'm gettin' Whippled, pending a phone call from Mr. Whipple (TP guy) or Mr. Teague with a personal Teague on Tech.

As far as the Dyno-ing goes, I believe this is a Merc setup, I may be wrong. Magic has an inhouse custom builder however, I don't think they are building the motor.

They might be bolting the Whipple on the Merc motor. What should I ask or require they do to possibly have it dialed in the first time?

Uncle Toys 06-05-2003 01:16 PM

Anybody on the board that knows me will tell you I don’t have enough experience to give you specific advice. But unfortunately my experience with blower motors is no longer zero. Still, I am only one person with one experience and therefore not statistically significant.

What I will offer is a few general principles that I have picked up from numerous discussions with a lot of motor heads over the past twelve months.

1. There is a tight relationship between blower motors and testosterone. Therefore, they are not for the marginally funded UNLESS you’re a motor head who loves a challenge.
2. You can’t get that big a percentage increase in horsepower by just bolting something on to your motor without materially increasing your chance of a problem – AND ITS NOT A LINEAR RELATIONSHIP!
3. Seek advice from those who are not selling you something.
4. There is a material difference in maintenance cost. Check into the cost and cycle time of “refreshing” blower motors.
5. You will need a couple of extra gauges on your dash – AND – you will need to know how to read them.
6. You buy insurance for the major event. If you have a major event, the insurance company will investigate. If they find a reason to back out on you, they will. Then, the insurance you paid for will not be there for you when you need it.
7. “Turnkey” is expensive. It doesn’t make sense that you can get the performance of a Porsche for the price of a Kia (which takes us back to my first point).

My two cents.