60.56%
575SC
39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Whippled or Not

Old 06-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im topgunrcf's son. All i can tell you is headaches, headaches, and headaches. a lot of people i know have the 575 and have very few problems, me personally would go for the new closed cooling merc 525.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Uncle Toys

topgunrcf - Wow, I am impressed with your bravery in sharing that with us! If more of our OSO brothers would be that brave we could substantially improve this board. Thank you!

kcgbjc - His experience and my experience do not mean that you will have the same. In fact, the odds are heavily in your favor that you wont - but the odds of a negative outcome are a lot higher than our testosterone will allow us to admit. It's critical you understand what could happen and have a sober understanding of the percentage chance of it occurring.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm listenting! And making a much more educated guess than when I posted the question. Thank you all for your take on things!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Before I had my Whipple installed, I had my engine rebuilt with some goodies. I have had flawless operation out of it since it was installed a couple of years ago. I have the 502mpi model.
The mechanic did an excellent job.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

TOPGUNRCF--

This post is about Whipples NOT Prochargers. They are totally different in how they work. I have a Whipple on my 454 carbed and it has been turnkey since day one.

All I can say is make sure the install is done correctly and you will be fine. I added mine to an engine with 350 hard hours.

I changed head gskts and used ARP head bolts and now it has over 150 hours of hard running never missing a beat.

I just did an install on a 454 MPI and the thing runs great. The owner of the boat only knows how to change the oil on his boat. He can't rave enough about how it idles and runs the same as stock except when you crack it you better be holding on to something. Email me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to chat/help you with your install.

Dave
Old 06-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Uncle Toys, you said the maintenance was high due to "refreshing". Whipple's website mentions only the following. Anybody know of any difficulty or relative expense to any of this? Seems simple and inexpensive.

Marine Kits
1. Check Belt condition and tension. Replace or adjust as required.
2. Check the supercharger oil level. Adjust if required.
3. Clean your flame arrestor element at every 25 hour intervals.
4. Change the oil in your supercharger every 100 hours or seasonal, which ever comes first.
5. Use SAE 5-50 wt synthetic motor oil.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Registered

kcgbjc- If you do a search with key words "whipple" & "Uncle Toys" you will see where UT is coming from. He whippled small blocks & ran into problems. Would I whipple a 502 today, Ya! I personally know a number of people that have procharged (me & others) or whippled with good luck. I do not think I would not have a boat without a blower of somesort.Just remember what BOAT stands for, Break Out Another Thousand.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:52 PM
bobby daniels

WE have done a lot of marine and automotive whipples and all the other superchargers and Iwould only own a boat with one !!

Old 06-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Uncle Toys

Originally posted by kcgbjc
Uncle Toys, you said the maintenance was high due to "refreshing".
I was referring to the time between rebuilds - the stuff between is minor.

For example, maybe you get 250 to 500 hours on an HP500 before it needs to be "refreshed." What happens to that cycle time if you add a blower?

Although I haven't done exhaustive research on the subject, I have talked to reputable mechanics that told me blower motors need to be refreshed ever 100 hours. On the other side, Dman has said he got something like 500 hours out of his.

For those reading this who might misunderstand - I'm not saying stay away from blowers. In general, I'm saying, if you want a blower be sure you know what your getting into. More specifically - in my opinion - if you want a blower have a good engine builder build you an engine around the blower.

The bottom line, as TJ put it, "Just remember what BOAT stands for, Break Out Another Thousand." Or, my abridged version of what topgunrcf said, "blowers are not for the marginally funded."

p.s. TJ, you need to disclose that you are the "motor head who loves a challenge."

Old 06-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Charter Member # 430
Charter Member

Got the BOAT thing. We always hope that that thousand will be available when necessary. I hope I fit into the group who can spare a grand here and there. Been very lucky with every boat I've dealt with in almost 20 years.

I've put 130 hours on my Commander in three years and even tho the top speed is somewhere just over 60, I have kept it to late 50's and never rev'd it over 4500. Luckily I have a fear of the red line. That is a fear that will save me money.

As far as getting it done right. I have heard good things about Magic and their motors. I always build a better than average relationship with anybody that I deal with so I hope that always helps. Tomorrow, I'm actually discussing employment with Magic/Sleek so I'll keep you advised on that. Always helps in the service deparment.

UT you have been very informative, as has everybody.

Quick Reply: Whippled or Not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.