Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha) >

Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)

Notices

Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)

Old 05-06-2003, 07:52 AM
riskybusiness

Cool Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)

Here's an old postcard I dug out of a desk drawer from my tenure at Banana Boat Ltd.

This is Mike Snow's first Banana Race boat, the picture was taken at the 1987 World Nationals (probably in Florida based on the color of the water).

The boat pictured was virtually box stock, with very little modifications for racing.

Mike later had a race boat built from the same molds, lighter, stronger, faster, all bulkheads, cored hull, etc. with bridgeports. That one cleared the 90 MPH mark, if my memory serves me correctly.

I was told that the molds came into this world as a Cigarette Firefox.

They really are great boats, a superb-handling, rough-water 24 footer.

There are still many of them around.
Attached Thumbnails Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)-b73-team-banana.jpg  

Old 05-06-2003, 04:36 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

remember this?
Attached Thumbnails Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)-picture1-019.jpg  
Old 05-06-2003, 04:38 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the front
Attached Thumbnails Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)-picture1-020.jpg  
Old 05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw one for sale near here a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I had one, a 24 with twin blown smal blocks and TRS drives. It was an incredible boat, even though it was only 24 feet, it thought it was 38 feet

It was called "Hells Bananna" and the old numbers were M666
Old 05-07-2003, 07:55 AM
riskybusiness

Biggus: I am "intimitely" familiar with Hell's Banana (had to change the spark plugs in it once---had to become a frickin contortionist).

That boat had quite a history---as if the name had cursed it. BTW--the original owner (who owned Port Edgewood and Banana Boat Ltd. had that number on all his toys, helicopters, race boats, license plates, youname it). I had heard stories of it sinking on Winnipesaukee, then being towed along the bottom for a mile or so (which explained some of the gouges in the hull).

Then somebody bought it, poured their heart, soul, blood, sweat, tears, and wallet into re-doing the whole boat. They ran it once out of Port Edgewood, parked it on the trailer for the night. That night, the boat next to it caught fire, and trashed it. He had no insurance. I was there the next day when the owner showed up. 'Talk about a grown man cry, he literally was in tears. I truly felt bad for him.

'Far as I know, he finagled some sort of insurance deal out of it (don't know how), then you bought it (cheap, I understand). The rest is history.

"Hell" of a boat---hauled ass, huh?

mrv8outboard: I was there-- The 91 "fun" run---destination Ocean Cliff in Newport. That was a blast. Dirk had his helicopter flying overhead, and got a video of the whole day. Ray may still have a copy of that.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Too slow

cool pictures and info riskybuisness..how many fun runs were there? i have an arial photo of my boat in one ..id love to get my hands on that video.....Mrv..cool t-shirt was there also a raceboat called Gone Bananas ? the only 2 ive ever seen are your "spoiled banana "and "team banana" mine is almost done ..started the motors today.. Mrv or risky...with 5.5 inches of set back where is a good starting point for my x-dim?...right now i have the propshafts 1" below bottom...is that too high?

Old 05-12-2003, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riskybusiness,

As the newest member of the Banana Boat Club, I request

that you change your heading to all "three of you".

Strength in numbers...
Old 05-13-2003, 07:30 PM
Too slow

hey Airdog..whats up?..i still want to see how your interior came out..am i the first ,second, or third Banana fan?..haha Riskybuisness i think we need to track down Mike Snow i wanna see Team Banana (the fast one) maybe even put it in the water..where does he live..?

Old 05-13-2003, 08:22 PM
riskybusiness

Too Slow: The only Banana "Fun Run" of which I am aware was the one in '91. Ray Mooney probably has a copy of the video, but would probably be reluctant to part with it (if he even does have a copy.

Mike Snow still lives here in Mass. I've got his address & phone # somewhere. Last I spoke with him (a couple years ago) his newest race boat was in storage, still in mint condition.

He joked about running it again, but didn't sound serious. I'll give him a call---would be a good excuse to contact him.

I've got a couple pictures of his newest boat. I'll post 'em.

Your mounting height (I think x-dimention is mor of a stern-drive term) sounds OK with that set back, maybe a little high, depending on your props. You have low-water pickups, right? 'Should be OK if you do.

Are they on manual jack plates? Power jacks? or just permanent set-back mounts?

'Lemme know!

Quick Reply: Banana Fans (both of you--ha, ha)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.