Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT! New 6.0 Diesel in an Excursion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51827-ot-new-6-0-diesel-excursion.html)

Steet 06-07-2003 02:28 PM

OT! New 6.0 Diesel in an Excursion

Anybody out there got one of the new excursions with the 6.0?
I am a GM person and always have been, but I have a buddy who bought a F250 with the new diesel and he loves it, so I decided today to look at them. Test drove a F350, and then an excursion with the 6.0. The Power is awesome. The towing capacity is 11,000 and that is ample for me. The dealer offered to let me bring it home, keep it over night, hook my boat up and haul it to the ramp tomorrow. Question is, what kind of fuel mileage on the new 6.0? I am being told from 20 to 24 highway and 15 to 17 towing. I sort of find this hard to believe. Anyone out there who has one that can give me some idea. Thanks

Quest for Speed 06-07-2003 04:58 PM

I have one and tow 12,000lbs. Around town I get 15 mpg, highway 17.5mpg and towing about 11.5. I have a heavy foot and always seem to get worse mileage than what other people say. These numbers are real life and honest, no rounding up or padding it a little. You will love it if you decide to buy it. My advice would be to put air suspension on the rear and some guys also add anti sway bars which I have not done. You will not find another SUV that tows like the X. I can and have run at 80mph for long periods of time (until I got a ticket, cop couldn't believe I was going that fast). If you need or want an SUV, BUY IT, you will not be disappointed.

burtandnancy 06-07-2003 06:00 PM

Does this new 6.0 come with the Allison in the Excursion as well as in the F-350? You can't get an Allison/Duramax in a Suburban.

GLH 06-07-2003 06:34 PM

Ask Nort he just got one.

Dock Holiday 06-07-2003 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Uh HuMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

For a guy that did not have anything nice to say about the Excursion a few weeks ago, you sure have come around?

Glad to see you looking at a good tow vehicle!!!!

Our V-10 is AWESOME, but the mileage is nothing like the Powerstroke.

I have a good customer that drove ours and had to have one. He bought a used 2001 with the powerstroke and added the three stage ATS chip.

He is getting 18-19 all day long and has seen 24 on the highway. He does not tow with it so I cannot tell you how that would effect it.

With that said, the new 6.0 is suppose to be even better.

Let me know how it handles the boat.

boat nut 06-07-2003 10:43 PM

Ford is discontinuing the Excursion! I believe they will only be made for 1 more year. Unless you plan to keep it for many, many years, a discontinued model will have no dollar value when you plan to get rid of it. I really wanted a diesel powered SUV, and Ford is the only game in town, but for this reason i did not buy the Excursion.

Burt&Nancy- The Allison transmission only comes in a Chevy/GMC. GMC owns Allison. Chevrolet/GMC is working on coming out with the Suburban with diesel power, and the Allison automatic tranmission, but they are still a couple of years away.

Steet 06-08-2003 12:29 AM

The Saga Continues

You are right Dock. I could not imagine myself in a ford, but after driving the 6.0 liter, I have to say I was impressed. I would say the power of the new 6.0 liter is probably better than anything I have been in lately. I checked with a friend of mine who works for GM and he says that the Suburban may come out with the Duramax in the 2005 Suburban. He says that they are hesitate to put it in because it raises the height of the suburban because of the Allison transmission.
Being a GM guy, my observation was, that the Excursion is the best SUV tow vehicle in its class for large boats.(10,000 plus) Also, noted is that there are three things that I do not like. The Excursion with the 6.0 is a little louder idling and running than the Duramax and the ride quality is not there, and the last thing is the overall quality of the interior, which GM is far superior.
The thing is though, if you are looking for a great tow vehicle with the amenities, it would be hard to pass up the new Excursion.
(By the way Dock, yours looks great when Tommie is driving it)

Dock Holiday 06-08-2003 11:06 AM

Steve,

My truck looks better when Tommie is driving it also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a good friend and I am just trying to give you a hard time. Funny but my dad and brother have always been Ford guys. I use to give them hell. Now they make me eat crow!

One of the main reason I liked GM products was for the interior. It just looked better to me. The problem was it usually fell apart and rattled to beat the band after a year or so. I have grown to like the Ford interior. I can tell you from experience that the door handles don't rattle and fall off, the dash is SOLID and the console does not rattle like my experience has been with so many GM products. Currently I run three GMC 3500 vans here at the company and the interiors simply fall apart. They just replaced the driver door interior handle on a 2003 I bought in December that only has 6000 miles. There is a rattle somewhere under the hood of the same van that they cannot find. It will drive you crazy at 40 and below if you have the radio off.

Personally I am know a Ford guy and proud of it. If you did make the switch I don't think you would regret it.

As for ride we think the Ex is sweet. Can you believe the turning radius on such a big vehicle? Not Bad! I did add air bags to keep the rear end up with the 36 attached and much to my surprise it did improve the overall ride and handling.

Keep us posted!
Dock

Dock Holiday 06-08-2003 11:11 AM

Originally posted by boat nut
Ford is discontinuing the Excursion! I believe they will only be made for 1 more year. Unless you plan to keep it for many, many years, a discontinued model will have no dollar value when you plan to get rid of it. I really wanted a diesel powered SUV, and Ford is the only game in town, but for this reason i did not buy the Excursion.
Boat Nut,

I think the Excursion resale vale will increase if they quit making them. You would not say that a Camaro of FireBird has no dollar value because they discontinued them?

Remember when Jeep discontinued the big 4 door Wagoneer? They became hard to get and the prices are still high to this day on one in good condition.

I seem to have a lot of people inquiring about them all of a sudden. Every where we go there are people that all of a sudden are interested. If money were no object I would go buy a second one like Steve is looking at with the diesel before they do quit making them.

Just my opinion!

Take care
Dock