Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Back From Smoke, and Yea, It Was Worth It (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/51937-back-smoke-yea-worth.html)

WickedWon 06-09-2003 08:35 AM

Back From Smoke, and Yea, It Was Worth It

The weather could a been better, but we still had a great time, met a bunch of new people and " played" real hard :D We decided to start from the middle in the back to work our way thru and see some boats but the haze made it a little difficult, eventually we got around everybody ( the haze at this point wasn't dangerous just annoying, and there was less off the beach) except Mr. Scism and his MTI cat. We ran beside him for several miles at just a tick over 100mph until he decided to raise the bar another 10mph or so, bye bye. Three miles out of Holland (at over a 100) we lost steering :eek: ,opened the hatches and WHAT A FREAK'N MESS, a power steering line had backed out of one of the pumps ATF everywhere. We floated around for 30 minutes while I got it fixed, we caught up with most of the fleet in South Haven and then headed back with them to GH. The visibilty was fair untill about 3 - 4 miles out of GH then there was none, we idled into beautiful sunshine and 70 degrees in the harbor, and that was it, game over.

Mary and I met more OSO members than I can list here and my crew of Buzzin Bye and Jesse James took ALL of the work out of the run for me. As usual Marc and Bob did a great job, this is absolutely one of the best, most organized runs out there. I know it's hard for people to commit big entry fee's early, but this run is worth the gamble, It's all about fun and we definitely had some :D See ya next year, hopefully I'll have the bilge clean by then.

Jim & Mary

cougarman 06-09-2003 08:48 AM

WickedWon

Jim,

It was a pleasure meeting you, Jerry, & Dan (BuzzinBye).

Your boat is awesome, love that dang thing, Sorry to
hear about your boat Jerry.

Thanks allot for the shirt, I'll wear it out for sure :)
Also can't believe how many Apaches were there,
they came out of the woodwork. And to top that off,
two of the baddest Half breeds I know. :) :)

Cougarman

Ps. I would have introduced my wife, but she had a touch
of the flu, no sense sharing.

LEOPAJM 06-09-2003 01:23 PM

Have to Agree ..... After all is said and done ..... "Smoke..... " was once again a Top Notch event !!!!! Even with the funky weather and my equipment malfuntions it was a great time. This run has developed a bit of a mystique of it's own ... maybe on par with the old Pier 33 and MOCA events that drew such huge crowds. Hope to see this continue to grow !!!! Now I'd like to thank everyone who made my trip for me ....

Andy and the whole Victory Perf. (Fun @ Lunch Bunch) for getting the boat together and getting me on the road.

Jim, Dan and Shane for busting my balls the ENTIRE weekend ... Thanks guys .... Capt. Oblivious never forgets !!!!

Doug, Scott and Kristen (my wife) .... the only time you'll ever wish your wife was a little heavier is when your trying to get a 14,000# triple engine 41 on plane with two engines and your looking for a little extra tonnage in the bow !!!!

Whoever the hell Kirby is ?!?!?!?!?

JM

MIdnightRider 06-09-2003 02:45 PM

Well I guess no matter what the weather is the event will always be top notch with the crowd that follows it. We did allot of wrenching, a little bit of running, a little more wrenching, then it was called, and we did allot more drinking. It was nice meeting you Saber boys, I had a good time drinking and bench racing with you folks at Kirby's. Thanks for the T-Shirt. Midnight

Scarab3DMC 06-09-2003 03:53 PM

Ok Jerry now I know why no one was at home this weekend...... I did that last year too... Any way my mail box is cleaned.... pm me about what else is happening and those props.... Dave:crazy: :eek: :D

MIdnightRider 06-09-2003 04:12 PM

Oh Yeah, I wanted to thank my friend and mechanic "Chicken" for spending the better part of the week helping me fix the motor that went dead the weekend before on our shakedown run. We worked the better part of the week until finally at 4pm on Friday when it finally fired, then again on Saturday when the selenoid stuck on, while starting the port motor. Also Renegade Steve for loaning me a few things along the way. And I did not forget my crew who stood on the dock drinking beer and enjoying themselves, thanks for all your help guys :). Then when it was finally up to a full run for the afternoon the fog stopped us. Has anyone ever felt like some boating weekends were not meant to be? Midnight

Jolley 06-09-2003 07:46 PM

Good to see ya' Shane and team!!!!!!!!!! WickedWon is way cool, met alot of OSOer's. Yes 'where's all the booze' I heard that more than twice.......... see ya soon, us:cool: :D

KAAMA 06-09-2003 08:17 PM

I was wondering what happend to WickedWon. I expected to see him in the first wave of boats as I stood on the south Holland pier. Shortly after the boats headed back out and south for South Haven I walked back off the pier and left the area. I would have loved to have seen WickedWon run----and it IS a RUNNER! I always look forward to hearing and seeing that boat run! One of my favorites! Glad all was okay.

Shane, I didn't know you were up here for the event---I would have liked to have met you.

yzbert 06-09-2003 08:47 PM

midnight, i was with the group that loaned you the battery, sorry to hear that you could not get things refired. bad asss looking boat.
scott

BuzzinBye! 06-09-2003 09:19 PM

Thank You very much once again!!

As always a Poker Run on WickedWon with You and Mary proves to be awesome. I hope you remembered to get gas in the truck before you dropped off the boat!:D

Shane it was great meeting you and very fun.

Jerry busted your balls has become a favorite pastime of mine, only because when your around everyone stops busting mine!

Kaama if it wasn't for the power steering fluid leak under the hatch WickedWon would have been the first V bottom you would have seen.:)

Apachekid it was good seeing you again as always.

Cougarman it was great to finally meet you.

P.S. Jim do you have a 5/8" box end wrench I can borrow:p :D

Thanks again to all

Dan Burtscher (BuzzinBye)