If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Boats:
    2002 Nordic 28 Heat / 2013 Bass Cat Puma FTD
    Lakeway, TX (Austin/Lake Travis) / LOTO Gravois Arm

Excursion V-10 Experiences

I searched and read the various threads here about Excursions -- but didn't see much in terms of the V-10.

I'm interested in anyone's experience towing apx. 6,500 lbs. with the V-10 in an Excursion. Fuel mileage? Dependability? Any transmission issues?

Platinum Member Platinum Member GLH's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Burlington, VT
    No Longevity here got mine 3 months ago pulling #10k Cig. Pulls great.
    The babe (wife!) gets 13 MPG milling around town, we get 16 MPG on Highway and about 9 MPG pulling the rig. No issues whatsoever and stole the thing, bought it with 41k miles it's a 2002
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member Platinum Member mjpcowboy's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2017 Nor-Tech 34 Sport
    I pull a 33 Donzi 9200lb dry with a V-10 Excursion. I get 10 MPG around town, 14 MPG highway and around 8 MPG towing. My wife drives the vehicle and loves the size. I have a friend that had a suburban with the 8.1 had way more power however loved the gas more than mine. In order to pull my boat up a steep ramp I need to use 4 low however it pulls without problem on the road. I wish Ford had not canned the Excursion for obvious reasons, beside the fact it has been a good vehicle.

Platinum Member Platinum Member rainmn's Avatar
    Manahawkin, NJ
    I've had my V-10 for about a year and a half now. 40K on it (Not all mine, got it used) and not a problem, other than the $4K worth of body damage from the asswipe that ran into my wife last weekend.
    Mileage wise I'm about 9-10 around town, maybe 13-15 on the highway. As for towing, can't tell you. I haven't towed anything bigger than the little family 15' center console with it so far. (You should see the funny looks that gets. )
    My wife loves the truck and drives it way more than I do now. That kind of surpised me, since she hated the Yukon we had prior to this.

My Boats:
    just a filter
    We've got 62000 on our 2000 ,last boat weighed around 7k never a problem...the only prob we ahve had period w/ our Exc. is 2 pwer door lock actuators went bad....we were out of warranty but Ford replaced them anyhow...another went bad a few weeks ago ..they said bring it on in....Great truck...

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I've got one in an F-250...It's a strong motor, well-suited for the truck. 6500# will be no problem.

My Boats:
    Fast Boats (surprised ?)
    Princeton, new jersey
    Have a 2001 F350 with the V10. Best truck I've ever had the V10 tows my 36 Spectre like it's a row boat. Had a trans problem at 40,000 miles. The over drive went. New trans under warranty, and no problems since. Have the 4:30 gears and the mpg is 10 while towing. I'm looking to buy an Excurision with the V10 amd 4 wheel drive for my daily driver so you know that I like the package. Otto

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    CheckmateF1 had one in his F-350 Shortbed, Crewcab, Dually. He loved it at first, but after a long tow fromVA to TX with a cargo trailer, it was coughing, sputtering, and smoking. He now has a Duramax 2500 HD.

Charter Member #34 Charter Member Dock Holiday's Avatar
    Beautiful North Carolina
    Great Truck! My wife loves it, it is her daily driver. We have a 2001 Limited we purchased new, V-10, 4x4.

Bought it to tow the Baja 272 we use to have. With the trailer and fuel the boat weighed in close to 6500 pounds. The Ex did not even know it was back there. We had a Yukon before and it was a joke. The difference between vehicles was 500% better. The first big trip was from Charlotte to Miami. I don't know how else to explain it, but you really do not know you are towing with only 6500 pounds.

The very best mileage we have seen is 15 MPG on a long trip non-towing. The very worse I have seen towing the 272 was around 10.5 MPG.

I spoke with a guy about a year ago that towed a Baja 36 Outlaw down from New York with the V-10 Excursion and he had nothing but praises. I have not tried the Excursion out yet with the 36 we now have. I did put air bags under it because the first time I hooked up the 36 it did squat. Overall the air bags have improved ride and handling.

Good luck, there are some real buys out there on V-10's and they are an awesome vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dock Holiday; 06-10-2003 at 09:59 PM.

My Boats:
    1996 Baja 272
    Central Ohio
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Sydwayz
    CheckmateF1 had one in his F-350 Shortbed, Crewcab, Dually. He loved it at first, but after a long tow fromVA to TX with a cargo trailer, it was coughing, sputtering, and smoking. He now has a Duramax 2500 HD. [/QUOTE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast