Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   GPS Speedos ...which one? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52003-gps-speedos-one.html)

Turbojack 06-10-2003 05:54 AM

Digital is only way to go. You do not have to guess what you speed is to the tenth. As you are cruising you can make tab and/or outdrive adjustments & see real quick if you are making improvement. The digital also lets you know volts, compass heading, RPM & knots. The RPM's beside the speed have recall. It is nice to be on RPM & then hit recall to see what your max RPM's were. About 2 years ago all of the digitals were made by the same company.

Sonny Spectre 30 06-10-2003 06:15 AM

Tell me more about not wanting to use the existing GPS. I really don't want another antenae on the boat.

Dave F 06-10-2003 06:39 AM

Bruce,

Talk to Mike Schultz at Gaffrig Performance. Tell him I sent you and he'll take of you. 630 213 8500.

Don't order them from the big names because MOST of them are Gaffrig/Lavorsi. There's a difference. Gaffrig Performace is the real Gaffrig.
DAVE

Raypanic 06-10-2003 06:57 AM

By the head from whoever you want and then get the receiver from Garmin. (GPScity.com) you save $$$

BRUCE SEROFF 06-10-2003 07:02 AM

Sounds good ...thanks guys. Looks like Gaffrig is the way to go.

I already have the GPS unit (Garmin) So I just need the head.
Any tricks or problems with hook up or programming involved??

Does the Gaffrig have the top speed recall, and tach like the Nordskog? Their specifications are kind of short

Von Bongo 06-10-2003 07:14 AM

Originally posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Sounds good ...thanks guys. Looks like Gaffrig is the way to go.

I already have the GPS unit (Garmin) So I just need the head.
Any tricks or problems with hook up or programming involved??

Does the Gaffrig have the top speed recall, and tach like the Nordskog? Their specifications are kind of short

Yes, except mine didn't come with the button so make sure you have it. Also has a couple ohter readings you can get, I just can't remember them this early

BRUCE SEROFF 06-10-2003 07:16 AM

Thanks Von

Philip 06-10-2003 07:30 AM

Bruce, or CTD

The unit I have does not have RPM, but it does have hi speed read out recall, and "average speed" recall. You can put he boat on the trailer, get on the GSP, wait for a clean un-crowded lane, go 120 mph or so, and never erase that speed. That is what I do. I am thinking of taking the GPS flying with me, get that sucker to read 180 or so. Look out Jet Set. If you do this before you put it in the boat, like give the unit to Anthony to take for a ride on his street bike the unit can be hooked up to his battery to power it up.:D :D

BRUCE SEROFF 06-10-2003 07:33 AM

Phillip...good idea. My boat runs faster on the highway anyway.

26ZX Donzi 06-10-2003 09:52 AM

Not sure which Gaffrig gauge specifically that you guys are talking about, but Gaffrig Precision Instruments/Livorsi Marine Inc. is the company that has the gauges in your boat. They are the "Gaffrig" that is installed on the majority of performance boats. Gaffrig performance and Mike Schultz is not the same "Gaffrig"