Notices

OT: I need some advice!!!

Old 06-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: I need some advice!!!

I am taking a position with a new company and I have to tell my current boss tomorrow. I currently work for a small, family run company and it is basically my boss and I doing the accounting. I was offered a job with a larger company today and I am going to take it. I am trying to figure out how to tell my current boss. He is not expecting this and is going to hit the ceiling when I tell him. He is going to have roughly 2 weeks to find someone to fill my position from outside the company and learn my job. There is no one inside the company that can take over my job. Tomorrow could be a disasterouse day for me. I need some advice on how to tell him. Should I do it in the morning or afternoon? Anyone been in this situation before? Can you help me out? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

That is a tough one. Are you completely commited to leaving? If you were a valued employee of mine I would try to see what it would take to get you to stay. But if you are dead set on leaving sit down with him in the morning and be honest. Good luck,not an easy thing to do. Just be absolutely sure you will be better off in your new position. Larger is not always better.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Registered

I recently did a simular thing..although I am stil at my old job...and wits end ...but regardless...been with the same boss for 11yrs and in the company for 13....he almost cried when I told him I was leaving. It sucked...but I was honest about my intent and reasons for the change...I didn't beat around the bush. I let him know 1st thing in the morning ....that crap is never easy ...gotta do what you gotta do ...good luck tomm. and w/ your new job...
Old 06-16-2003, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

never burn bridges, and perhaps you can offer help part time until he has found a replacement.

good luck
later
Dave
Old 06-16-2003, 09:55 PM
Big E

NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER burn a bridge. Also, always remember, that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side of the fence. Bigger companies are not always better, there are a lot more politics and BS in larger firms. Good Luck.

Old 06-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am always PISSED when my buys that have left me beat around the bush. I want people to be honest with me. I may be pissed or hurt at first but people get over it and if they see that you did right by them in the end they ussually understand.

Jon
Old 06-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Registered

I am 95% sure that I am leaving. Like I said before, my current employer is a small company. They can't compete with the larger companies, and not just with salaries. I feel like I am part of the family, so this is the toughest thing I have had to do careerwise. Granted, I am only 25. There is no room for promotion or growth with my current employer. Unless I take my boss's job, there is no other accounting position that I could take. I want to start learning new things and use my education more. I will be do corporate taxes with the new job and other more advanced tasks. I am actually excited to take this new position. With that being said, one of the hardest days lays right in front of me. I am not going to burn any bridges. I plan on offering to help after hours and on the weekends for awhile to get someone trained and established as best I can. However, I am being pulled two different directions. My new employer wants me to start asap, I my current employer wants me to say as long as possible.

Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming though. I read OSO while I eat breakfast, so keep it coming. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did same thing just 2 yrs ago. Worked for a very good friend that had his own machine shop. Just 4 of us. Told him 1st thing. He fully understood as it is hard for the small guys to be able to offer benifits like the big guys can. It was a financial decision. ( Wanted bigger boat ) I gave a 3 1/2 week notice and continued to give my 100% for the full term. He will appreciate any extra effort that you can offer for a smooth transition.
Congrates on the new job.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Don't burn the bridges. That said, I've actually had bosses call me up at home that night and tell me to come and get my things. Talk about a turn around! Go from quitting on good terms to being fired! Anyways, I've seen many a irreplaceable person leave a company. I've learned that things will go on. No one person is irreplaceable.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:19 PM
Big E

If you are only 25 and an accountant, go for it. My wife used to work for Arthur Andersen, you know what happened to them, luckily her group at Andersen about 20 of them that do State and Local Taxes got bought out by PWC, the rest of the employees got left behind looking for jobs on their own. My wife does pretty well and she says the market for accountants is soaring in STL. Go with the big company and don't look back. You are very young (no disrespect), but you can always find another job if it turns out you don't like it. My wife says her company is always looking for young people with just a few years of experience. If you were 45 to 50 years old, I would be a little nervous if I were you, but your not. If tomorrow is the toughest day you will ever have in your life, you will have an easy life. Employers expect young employees to leave. You can never blame a guy for wanting to better himself. Go for it. You owe them nothing. Good luck.

Quick Reply: OT: I need some advice!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.