Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The SOTW Poker Run certainly looked like SMOKE on the water! >

The SOTW Poker Run certainly looked like SMOKE on the water!

Notices

The SOTW Poker Run certainly looked like SMOKE on the water!

Old 06-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Arrow The SOTW Poker Run certainly looked like SMOKE on the water!

I drove to the Holland pier head/jetty and it was about 9:30-10:00 or so before the first wave of boats began arriving. The reason why it looked like "SMOKE on the water" is because it was FOGGY out on the water with only about 1/4 mile visibility---if that! The sun was just begining to break through near the shoreline and inland as the boats began to arrive, but the fog continued to cast its haze over the water.

Several boats came thundering in. You could here the engines of the boats WAY BEFORE you saw them coming until they appeared from the fog and because of the thick fog they almost over shot the entrance to the jetty. First of these was a cat boat that I cannot remember the name of and what looked to be a couple "V" hulls----a 42' Outlerlimits and another that I cannot remember----it might have been Parnell's all white 40' Sutphen cuz he was definately one of the FIRST to arrive at the Holland check point. I was really expecting to see Wicked Won (41' Saber Banshee), especially in the first wave----but he never showed up! It is fun to watch and listen to Jim's boat run! Hope all was okay for him and his crew. Several of the 36' Apache's came in together---those were some colorful boats! There looked to be a few cats that were having some mechanical problems at various times that I could see and were limping back to port---at least that is the way it looked. Shortly after most of the boats picked up their cards here came Tomcat out of the fog just kickin' up the calm water and went howling by at well over 100mph! I don't know if he accidently missed the jetty or if his intent was to keep rolling towards South Haven----but one thing is for sure was that you could hear him singing over the water and there was no secret that he not wasting any time to where ever he was going----he was most definately HAULING THE MAIL!

Also, that 55' "V" bottom boat with the BIG SUPERCHARGED DIESELS with Arneson #12 drives is just INCREDIBLE! That thing can do about 75-80mph---NO KIDDIN'!!!

Anyway, seeing all those boats and hearing all that THUNDER definately gives me some incentive to want to get my own hog in the water----wished I could have been out there with them.

That's the way it was from my vantage point (Holland pier/jetty). What happens for the rest of the day someone else will have to chime in from here.

Last edited by KAAMA; 06-07-2003 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 06-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 55 V-hull is a Hylight own by Steve Lanford,way cool boat!!
Old 06-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was setting out in the lake in my boat with a few other boats when the first poker runners came in to Holland. We could hear the roar for at least 5 minutes before we saw the boats and the helicopter. The IMCO Marine Technologies cat was the first boat I saw followed closley by a big V bottom. It was definitley wild out there. I was less than a half mile offshore just to the north of the channel and about the same distance north. At times I could not see the channel although I could usually see the beach. When the boats started coming into view most of them were farther out than we were but a good number of them were running the shoreline and were between us and the beach. I was a little bit concerned about getting hit and it made me wonder how those guys could justify running at speed when the visibilty was so poor. There were a few fisherman out at that time of the day and since the water was flat they were mostly in some very small boats. I am thankful that no one got hurt. I think an honest person would agree that it could have gotton real ugly real fast.

Other than the fog it was a beatiful thing seeing all the good looking hardware. Apache really had a good representation. I have never seen so many of them in one place before. After most of the boats came in we drove up the channel and went past the card boat. At that time it was getting sunny and visibilty was improving. I am sorry to hear that things got worse after that and the run had to cancelled.

See ya, Doug

Last edited by MACDAD260; 06-08-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Registered

ttt
Old 06-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Registered

Attached Thumbnails The SOTW Poker Run certainly looked like SMOKE on the water!-mvc-001s.jpg  
Old 06-09-2003, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

we were intent in not stopping we started way late and were worried with all the fog of heading south with every one going north.Never were able to see the rest of the pack but still a fun day. Tom
Old 06-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Mad Hatter

I put in around noon, I only got as far as the end of the swimming area in Holland SP and had to back down, fog was too thick. Ended up pulling out and trailoring out to Grand Haven.

Old 06-09-2003, 11:44 PM
Registered

Post #6 looks like THE definition of "Smoke On The Water" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice
Old 06-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Registered

A buddy of mine went out later in the afternoon and it was still heavy patchy fog.
He saw a nice new 30'ish Formula, with "SkipperBud Marine" on the side,
HIGH AND DRY UP ON THE BEACH half way between Saugatuck and Holland!!!
This guy must have been flying, hit the beach at an angle, and parked
it at least 15' from the water's edge!

Was there a beach the boat competition?
I think he won.

Quick Reply: The SOTW Poker Run certainly looked like SMOKE on the water!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.