If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Diamond Member #001 Charter Member C_Spray's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
    Coastal North Carolina
    Originally posted by catmando
    ....the IMCO 4X4.....can handle over 1300HP.
    Whoa! 1300 hp at 5200 rpm = 1300+ ft-lbs. That's up in the range of over-stressing #6's. I really kind of doubt that the 4x4 can handle that. (Unless you're talking 1300 hp at an input shaft speed of 16,000 rpm, in which case the torque loads won't be so bad.

440 diesels are probably 2800-3000 rpm engines, right? we're talking 800 ft-lbs of torque, so I think we're talking Pulse, Arneson ASD8, or #6's here.

I seem to recall seeing a development stern drive at Twin Disc's booth at the Miami show that was rated for 440 deisel hp, but there is nothing about it on Twin Disc's web site. It looked like a cross between a Bravo 2 and a #6, and I seem to remember it being made of cast bronze. Anyone remember seeing it?

How about one of the big Konrad 520 or 540 drives ? Those specs look pretty close...
    Last edited by C_Spray; 06-11-2003 at 06:37 AM.
    Retired! Boating full-time now.

VIP Member VIP Member OldSchool's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently

Hey Chuck,
    It's good to see somebody make an intelligent response to the man's question instead of all this cheerleading

By the way, you misspelled diesel

Diamond Member #001 Charter Member C_Spray's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
    Coastal North Carolina
    Originally posted by craig223
    Hey Chuck,...By the way, you misspelled diesel...
    Only the second time - got it right the first.

Really like the spec's on those Konrads - Wish there were some people who could give us real-life experience stories about them.

Timucin - Your friend other alternative would be to look at putting some overdrive transmissions in the boat, say .75:1 or even .67:1 if there is such a thing. This would drop the torque loading to the drive.
    Retired! Boating full-time now.

Mike J
    I would check out the Weismann
    Drive units.
    Call Pat @ 1-949-645-4064
    Or email/PM shifter on this OSO
    Perhaps hes reading this.
    Mike J.

Platinum Member Platinum Member mcollinstn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 F311SR1
    #1: He says it performs better with an outdrive? Doesn't make sense. A 45' hull is too long and too heavy for a Sterndrive to muscle around for bow lift. The hull itself MUST be able to lift itself by DESIGN, not by drive leverage. With drive leverage a nonissue, a surface drive is the obvious choice. And don't forget, little fins can be added to the bottom of the rudder/skeg on an Arneson for MUCHO bow lift ability.

#2: KONRAD is a HD drive that came from diesel military applications (at least that is what a guy at the booth told me a coupla years back) and has been modernized for appearance and hydrodynamic performance. It would be an obvious candidate.

#3: Whatever is required to overdrive the input shaft speed to 5000rpm should be done. This will minimize the torque loading in the drive without overspeeding the bearing and lube capabilities.

I still scratch my head and wonder why this Joe won't consider the surface drive packages (Pulse and Arneson). Smack him around a little, Tim, and get him to make some sense.
    I see London, I see France...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12