Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Waaay OT:  Cover letter review >

Waaay OT: Cover letter review

Notices

Waaay OT: Cover letter review

Old 06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to assume that there will be many people applying for the same jobs as you. I don't think the person reading over all these resumes is going to read all that. I would think they would glance over all that and look at the resume. Leave all that to the interview. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Keep the cover letter short as possible. I used to post an ad on Monster on Friday afternoon and get over 300 e-mails by Monday morning. I would ignore the cover letters and look at the resumes first. If the resume looked good I might go back and read the cover letter looking for specific tasks and project accomplished. I eventually had an assistant screen the e-mails for me.

Are you responding to an ad or just fishing? Have you had any previous contact with Mr. Anderson? Do you know if they are trying to fill a position and what their criteria are for that position (job description)? Try to match your resume and cover letter to those criteria if you know what they are.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just read an article written by some hiring authorities that said in part ask for the interview. So ask, or better yet, state that you will call that person on a certain date and then do it.

Shorten your cover letter to two paragraphs composed of short, easy to read sentences. Pique their curiosity by mentioning a few of your accomplishments so they'll want to read the attached resume to see what else you achieved in your career.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Registered

Are you looking for a perm job or a contract?
If you are looking for contract work, no cover letter.
List tools and languages, operating systems etc on top of resume.
than explain in job descriptions. I placed contractors for years and the managers I have dealt with didn't care if a resume was 2 or 20 pages. They wanted to see what they were looking for quickly, sort the resumes, and than go back and read in more detail the job descriptions. I still have a ton of friends in the business and I can hook you up with an awesome national tech recruiter if you are interested.
Also, write you resume to cater to a specific job your going for.

Last edited by ScottB; 06-11-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Registered

PS Casi Rusco in Fl called me the other day and they are looking for SW/firmware developers perm. I am out of the business but
I can get more info. I know your IT, but somewhere along the line most of you guys have been developers

Last edited by ScottB; 06-11-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
I'd hire you and I can't even tell what the f@ck you do.

That is toooo funny. I agree!

Dock,

Your "other notable achievemnts" will be a part of your resume and should not be included in a cover letter. The last two paragraphs are a little repetative and maybe you can combine the two. It is a cover letter and should be brief.

I don't understand the "Soul sucking current company". If that is included I don't think it is inappropriate along with any other sarcasm or the need for comments in parenthasis (sp). If I misread please clarify.

Aside from that you are well written and bring interest to your motive for employment. Leave it be for a while, then re-read. Don't rush anything. You abviously have the experince, let that show in your resume.

Good Luck
Old 06-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Registered

Geez, louise guys - good input, but the paranthetical statements and other "asides" were put in just to disguise the actual company names and whatnot. Give me a little credit, I don't think putting "soul-sucking current company" is going to win me an interview!

I'll rework this tomorrow - it usually helps if I sleep on it a bit. Thanks much for the advice...
Old 06-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Registered

ok i get it just trying to help. racing ain't all i do.

Treadewll
Old 06-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Registered

ok i lied.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:06 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Treadwellmotorsports
ok i lied.

Too funny Eric!!!

Quick Reply: Waaay OT: Cover letter review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.