Notices

OT-prepaid phones

Old 06-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT-prepaid phones

Ok, I'm cheap. Really cheap. So cheap that I don't even have a cell phone. Why? Because I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I'll only use the phone for a couple of minutes (average) per month, so a monthy fee isn't worth the service. Recently, at the considerable prodding from a few fellow members, I've started considering a prepaid phone. It looks like there are quite a few different plans out there. The ones that I'm liking are the yearly ones. That way, I don't need to worry about renewing the phone as often. I was wondering if any board members had some pointers for me regarding the different plans, roaming, phones, providers etc. I've never owned a cell phone before, so any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:59 PM
TulsaLarry

Cord

I'm getting ready to check these out also. About a year ago when the markets caused my business to go down one of the first things I did was cancel my wife and daughters cell phones. I was glad to get rid of them because I hate monthly bills. My wife rarely used hers and my daughter always went over her limits. I would like a couple of phones to use when needed but not have the monthly bills.

I hope someone can give us some inside on the pros and cons of the prepaid system.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I'm in the business. The only time to get a prepaid phone is if your credit is shot. It' usualy more expensive on a per minute basis.

You should know that you can change plans monthly, just call the carrier to increase or decrease the minutes in the plan. Check around, they are all similar in price. What you want is good coverage. Ask friends how they like thier service. Usually Cingular or your local phone company will offer a good plan and service.

At home, to save money, drop your long distance carrier and use the Sams Club phone card for 3.5 cents per minute.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

What else do you want to know.

There are many rip offs in prepaid phone cards. Like 1 cent per minute! Impossible, they hit you for a 49 cent call set up fee. A ten second call to an answering machine will cost you 50 cents.

The Sams club card is an AT&T card and 3.5 is great with no gimmicks. If you want the best post paid deal at home or your business, I can give you 3.9 cents per minute with no monthly fee (unless you use under $20, then the fee is $1.99).

Cellular is still a rip off. Those minute plans suck. I wish I could just pay by the minute. The only time you make out is if you use exactly the number of minutes in the plan. Prepaid Cellular is new and designed for people with bad credit. If you use the phone a lot, you'll spend more. If you use a little, you might save but since you don't get a free phone, it will take a while to justify the cost. My wife's plan is $20 a month with 60 minutes. And mine is $45 for 350 minutes, but I can be anywhere in the USA with no roaming fees, whereas hers is just for our area.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Steve_H

who has free phones these days for someone that will rarely use it?

cord , i think im cheaper then you

Old 06-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The wife has a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone. Phone was $60. You have to buy a minimum of $20 worth of minutes every 3 months to keep your service. It deducts $.25 per minute from your balance for the first 10 mins each day, after 10 mins/day, its $.10 per minute. I checked them all out and this was the best deal I could find.
It also uses the Sprint PCS network and long distance is included as long as you are on the Sprint PCS network.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember you will use it more then you think you will.

Jon
Old 06-13-2003, 08:08 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I just can justify getting a phone for $250 a year. That's why I was thinking of the prepaid plans. I found a program for $150 a year which has 350 minutes. Not many minutes (enough?) but I could do $13 a month.

Now that 3.5c long distance does sound like a great deal. Sure would suck to use a card when calling from home though...
Old 06-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally posted by TulsaLarry
Cord

I did was cancel my wife and daughters cell phones. I was glad to get rid of them because I hate monthly bills. My wife rarely used hers and my daughter always went over her limits.
If your daughter is old enough for a cell, she is old enough for a job. I bet $ that after getting that first bill, she wont go over the limit any more

Tommy
Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM
TulsaLarry

Originally posted by HyperBaja
If your daughter is old enough for a cell, she is old enough for a job. I bet $ that after getting that first bill, she wont go over the limit any more

Tommy
She just turned 15 and has been looking for a job this summer but the "Child Labor Laws" make it hard for a kid under 16 to get a job. I thought the pre-paid cells might be the answer because I could buy her "X" number of minutes for a certain amount of time and when it is used up she is done until we buy another card. At least I would not have to argue with her every month when the bill comes in.

Quick Reply: OT-prepaid phones

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.