Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Well, I'm done for a while. Where can I get new fuel tanks and what kind? >

Well, I'm done for a while. Where can I get new fuel tanks and what kind?

Notices

Well, I'm done for a while. Where can I get new fuel tanks and what kind?

Old 06-16-2003, 08:33 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, you can't get a break with that boat!

I had the tanks ripped out of my 1988 Sonic 30 SS a couple of years ago when the feul barge blew up near me and I smelled gas after fill ups. Turns out the hoses to the overflow vents had cracks.

Any way I had a long island welder make new tanks that I then had powder coated. Works of art.

Runs sweet ever since. Let me know if you need the name.

Good luck!

Chris
Old 06-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Registered

CBR;
Do you have any pics from you job? Did you get any specs from Sonic or was it just exploratory surgery?

Kendall;
I left a message on your cell. Call me and let me know if we need to bring anything up with us. (besides rum of coarse )
Old 06-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I was robbed , and torchured on mine ! I left my tanks to have them coppied, (exact) and fixed for storage at home . When I went back my old tanks were gone !!! HE said the fire marshal confiscated them !!!! Fire marshal said BULL*%#@ !!! So he either sold them or just kept them for himself !

I "THINK" it was "Atlantic Coastal Welding " ! DO NOT USE THAT SCUM BAG PEICE OF CRAP ! tHEY ADVERTISE IN THE BOAT SHOPPER AND SALTY DOG . Not only did he steal my tanks and lye to me , but he put my fittings in wrong on the new tanks and I had to modify the boat to fit the tanks ! He also put the baffle right next to the fuel gauge hole so my floats wouldn't work . HAd to go buy Gaffrig floats !

There are some other places that advertise in there that they say are good guys . Some other welding shop .

My tanks were 150 gallons each and I think were around $2000 for the pair. They were very odd shaped too . If they are just square ,I think it would be cheaper .

Don't get into "fuel cells " (rubber bladders that go in your tank) They have to be replaced ever couple years ! And I would just have the new tanks made ,not welded . Mine had little tiny pin holes in it from corosion all over them . Good luck . Any quesions ,e-mail me at [email protected] or call me 908-782-0688 JOE
Old 06-16-2003, 12:46 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Boot is right about fuel cells. Pain in the neck from what everyone told me.

Jay at Sonic was super about giving tons of information re structure to my fiberglass guy who did the tank ripout and install work, as well as the welder. The rear stringers had to be demolished to get the new tanks in if I remember right. My fiberglass guy did a really nice job putting new stringers back in, as well as the floor and everything else.

You have seen the cool custom rails, box, I had the welder make on my boat? Same guy did the tanks. He is one of the top custom welders in the country.

I'll try to get pictures of the tanks. They were so well made I really did not want to put them in the boat, but did not have room to hang them from the ceiling as modern art sculptures. <gg>

CBR
Old 06-16-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

Any other suggestions on how to get this out.
We are doing it tonight and the goal is to get it out of the boat.

I spoke to boot and he had some good advise.

We are thinking about using a com-a-long and a 4x4 across the cockpit to put some upward pressure while cutting away the foam.
Any other ideas or advise would be helpful.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Registered

Chris,

I spoke with Paul earlier today. The bummer about the foam is the it works really well. It is very difficult to get out. I would try a sawz-all carefully to remove the larger quantities. Acetone will also break down the foam that is in there but will make a mess as well. Call me later if you have any questions. I told Paul I have done this before and to be VERY CAREFUL when re-installing as too much expanding foam will crush the tank. It can be a tedious job so have patience and good luck.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:56 PM
Registered

I used a hacksaw blade and a sawzall blade by hnd to cut around the tank...sawzall 12 inch blade worked best....dug out all i could and then removed the sending unit and put a bar through the hole and chained it to a forklift.....it still took quite a bit of uuumph !! to break it free....be sure not to overdue i t..and have the tank jump out of the hole...could cause some damage...

give it hell..........
Old 06-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will keep the progress posted.

Boot, I remember that ordeal!!
Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM
JON242

There's a place in Brick or Toms River (can't remember exactly) called Patriot Welding. They build aluminum work boats and fuel tanks. They did one for me about 5 years ago and no problems.

Old 06-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've herd of Patriot too . Suposed to be good .

I hate to admit it ,but I did use a chain saw to get mine loose !! The saw zall would't reach ..........

Be REAL careful of fuel and sparks ! And don't cut through the bottom of the boat either !! Good luck ........

Quick Reply: Well, I'm done for a while. Where can I get new fuel tanks and what kind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.