Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Trim Tabs on 22' Warlock SXT? >

Trim Tabs on 22' Warlock SXT?

Notices

Trim Tabs on 22' Warlock SXT?

Old 06-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Aka8953121

Default Trim Tabs on 22' Warlock SXT?

Would trim tabs help me plane easier? I cannot get my Warlock to plane with a 30 prop...the engine loads and stalls. Could this be a prop issue or carb? I am running a single Chevy blown 454.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't plane a 22 foot tunnel with a blown 454 you have a bigger problem than needing trim tabs. I have a 24 cat with a blown 454 also swinging a 30 pitch prop and planing is no problem. You should be cavitating the prop if anything, not stalling. I need to hear some more details...
Old 06-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Aka8953121

Default ok...well........

when trying to come up on plane the rpm's climb but then the motor gets under load and will eventually stall. Its like the prop is under extreme load and the cat will not overcome its own "hill" of water. The motor will throttle nicely with the drive not engaged but will not plane when engaged. VERY fustrating. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Joe

Old 06-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Registered

I am assuming this is a 4 blade 30 pitch? If so, you should have plenty of power to twist it through any bit of water. I am not being an ass but the trim is all the way down right? OK...Is this a 454 Mag with an aftermarket Supercharger or a custom 454 with a 671 and carbs or what?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Aka8953121

Default yes.........

trim all the way "in" or down. It a custom 454 taken to 461 C.I.D. The blower is a Weiand 177 with 7 lbs of boost. The carb is a standard Holly 850 double pumper, dual feed and there is a Super Chiller (intake cooler) on the intake.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Registered

With that engine timed and carbed right you should have no problem swinging that prop. If your timing and advance are right I would be looking at your carb. I only have about 525HP in mine and I crack it to half throttle, let it take hold and brake over, then back out to cruise. If you are loading up and stalling there is a problem in the engine setup. If you have less horsepower maybe you have too much prop but I still think you would be able to break it over, just a little slower. Do you have a boost guage? You said it revved before it stalled, how many RPM's and are you showing any boost?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Aka8953121

Default well....

about 2000 rpm's and the motor loads with the prop engaged. I cant rev it all the way to redline with the drive disengaged with no problem. Once under load it stalls at about 2500 rpm's and little to no boost.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Registered

Thats not revving very much! If your motor has low compression like it should for 7lbs boost you are not making alot of power until that blower starts pumping up those cylinders. Your cam grind plays a part here too. You may simply have too much prop to let it get its legs and go. I would barrow a smaller prop (say a 26 4 blade or 28 3 blade) and run it. If it breaks over and runs good you know everything else in the engine is good and can start stepping up in props to see what is best. If it still runs like crap it could be in your timing/carb. Also, different puilleys make different boost on different engines depending upon load. You may need a smaller pulley to make the amount of boost you designed this engine to make in this application. BE CAREFULL though if you decrease your pulley size (which you may need to do) because overboost = blown head gaskets in the least and everything else at the worst. If your timing and carb are right I think you are going to get closer to what you want by propping down or boosting up. I do want to know... What heads are these? What is your cam grind? (approximate lift, duration, special grind? brand?) What is your static compression ratio?
Old 06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Aka8953121

Default ok.......

good info and gives me hope!

My heads are standard production Chevrolet, cast iron, big port, open camber. Manley stainless valves, Isky valve retainer and keepers. The cam is a comp. cam with hyd. roller, rocker ratio 1.75. Valve lift .553/.578, dur. 275/284 and lobe center 112.

Old 06-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Registered

Try a smaller prop. If your tune is good it will plane it over and rev up till it hits a limiter (if you have one) or until your cam grind won't let it rev anymore. Don't blow up your valvetrain You will then get an idea also of how much boost this thing can make and if you should change pulleys. If it is making 4 or 5 lbs at 5000- 5200 and you have 8:1 compression or less I think you need a pulley change. If it makes more than 5lbs you are going to have to be content to swing a smaller prop and spin it faster.

Quick Reply: Trim Tabs on 22' Warlock SXT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.