Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   APBA Friends file Lawsuit in NY (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52810-apba-friends-file-lawsuit-ny.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-23-2003 05:20 AM

Re: 52 hours and no response to my questions...

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by C_Spray
The silence, all by itself, speaks volumes.......
You must of touched a nerve.....;)

jackson_staley 06-23-2003 08:16 AM

I know, I know, (hand waving) C-Spray can I answer the question?
I'n not Hearn but I can answer a few questions.
Charlie Strang was appointed to the board of APBA as the only permanent member I think it was 3 or 4 years ago, by the then current board and it's president Jones. Under the Seatec plan he was re-affirmed to that and was appointed chairmen of APBA.

Mr. Hearn was appointed president of the peformance board by the board members. When the new by-laws were put into effect at the Detroit meeting all the members of the boards, performance and the licensed boards retained their seats. Even Mr. Allweiss was retained at the time. So the new board was made up of the existing board members with Mr. Hearn as president.

C-Spray, being new to this web site, and not knowing your background, but reading references to Indy. Could you elaborate? No bashing or anything just curious. Thanks!

C_Spray 06-23-2003 08:51 AM

Jackson: Thanks - That takes care of #7 (but flies in the face of "one man, one vote"). However, Mr Hearn started this thread, and needs to account for his group's actions.

#1 - #6 remain unanswered.

I'll send you a PM.

CigDaze 06-23-2003 09:15 AM

However, Mr Hearn started this thread, and needs to account for his group's actions.

Don't hold your breath...There will always be more questions than answers.

To Reiterate:

What's the plan? What will happen to all the racers?

1) Why didn't you resolve these issues during the off-season instead of instituting your proceedings after the 2003 season was underway?
2) Do you understand how destructive this timing is to the racers? (If you don't, you need to "volunteer" for something else.)
3) Suppose all the Offshore racers did as you bid, and had refused to attend the last few LLC races? What would you have done for them over the last two months? Where are your race venues, your sponsors, your safety crews, your prize money structures?
4) If the SeaTac plan was voted in and agreed upon, and someone was instructed to modify the bylaws accordingly, why weren't those bylaw changes accomplished?
5) Why does someone from your sponsors company sit on your board?
6) How do you account for the complete and total lack of support for your actions by the offshore racers themselves?

T2x 06-23-2003 09:26 AM

Jackson: Thanks - That takes care of #7 (but flies in the face of "one man, one vote"). However, Mr Hearn started this thread, and needs to account for his group's actions.

Chuck:

I think the timing question is a red herring in that the "off season is about 5 months long, and any legal action of this type will take the better part of a year to straighten out.........

IMHO your other questions are reasonable given the proper context, and the understanding that there are a number of "unanswered" questions on both sides.

I'm beginning to see this as a kind of infection process , where both the cure and the disease are disabling and painful. The biggest question is what is best for all racers, offshore and others, and what will this process result in 5-10 years from now.
I have seen decades of "great" races...... yet we are forever "rebuilding", due to two issues:

1. Failure to create a true, non racer- associated fan base.

2. Lack of a true national sponsor who is not associated with the marine pleasure industry........ which is a direct result of #1 above.

The rest is a pecker length contest, between people, who in some cases, have big egos and small peckers.

T2x

ScottB 06-23-2003 09:35 AM

Well Put T2x...........

Although the last sentence begs the question.
How do you know?:D

sorry, I couldn't resist;)

Ron P 06-23-2003 09:44 AM

1. Failure to create a true, non racer- associated fan base.
I am always amazed at how few people come out to watch these races. If you took away the families and friends of the racers, there would only be a handful of gear heads in attendance.

As T2x has said, that really is the biggest problem with the sport. Lack of attendance by a fan base.

T2x 06-23-2003 09:44 AM

Originally posted by ScottB
Well Put T2x...........

Although the last sentence begs the question.
How do you know?:D

sorry, I couldn't resist;)

I can speak from a position of first hand observance.....

about the egos;)

The pecker length is purely conjecture....based on empirical evidence.

T2x

SHARKEY-IMAGES 06-23-2003 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by T2x

The rest is a pecker length contest, between people, who in some cases, have big egos and small peckers.

T2x

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ScottB 06-23-2003 10:14 AM

Mike, You are correct, but those are the exceptions and not the rule. Most race sites are mostly friends and Family. In order for this sport to grow, the average Joe who really doesn't know much about boats needs to be captured.
I think T2x is right, we need a national sponsor with no attachments. I don't see it happening but Burger King or Macdonalds would be perfect.