Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I may be done boating for the season. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52855-i-may-done-boating-season.html)

chromecat 06-22-2003 08:52 PM

definately not a engine guru... i know enough to get in trouble... but seems like i've read somewhere that most of todays ignitions... just quit working at 9.5 volts..... no matter what... starter still works but no fire...

Don

Waterfoul 06-22-2003 09:03 PM

Craig, thanks for the blast across the lake!! But it's just wrong that Ryan got to go faster than I did!!!! LOL!!!

Maybe at some point this week I'll feel like messing with my boat. I'm soooooo burnt out on fixing it.

Chart 06-22-2003 09:27 PM

Foul, when reading the thread title, I though "Oh no, he's used up the whole world's supply of PS belts!!!!!!!:D Glad it is not anything as serious as that!

MNFastBoater: Great to see you are still with us. Missed you at LOTO over Memorial Day.

Whitey 06-22-2003 09:28 PM

It was nice seeing everyone again. Foul it does not sould like anything real serious but, I know how a person can get burned out on a boat. Just take a break and look at it later in the week.
Dwight

Allan4 06-22-2003 09:43 PM

If the alternator does not do the trick, I'd look into the ign box. Sounds like a typical puking of an ign box or a coil. Expecially if it fired back up after a short while. Eventually it will just crap out totally.

The motor will run on just a battery (think of a drag car) but eventually drain itself to the point where it cannot make enough spark.

Good luck, don't get frustreted, we've all been there.

:)

Rambunctious 06-22-2003 09:44 PM

come on ol' buddy, pick that chin up now. wipe the tears........
you can do it.

i wanna hear those famous words from you

now what are they???? come on... you can say it.......

come on, say it .....:)

Waterfoul 06-22-2003 09:45 PM

Rob, I can't say it until I do it. And right now, I just don't feel like it.

traviss 06-22-2003 09:52 PM

Nice seeing you boys on saturday :cool:

Whitey.. Nice looking boat, maybe next time we get together you'll have to take me for a spin :D

Mr vette :D :D Nice meeting ya and seeing your boat, sweet setup and it runs like a raped ape :cool:

Foul... thanks for the towel soaked with beer :D it smelled great this morning LOL! It was a pleasure having you ride with me. My back sure hurt this morning.. :eek:

Travis

Bulldog 06-22-2003 11:07 PM

If the batteries were hooked up in parallel without an isolator or battery switch was set to both/2, the bad battery will load down the good battery AND the alternator. This means that you may have only had 9 or 10 volts while running, with the alternator working very hard to charge up the batteries.

If the combined pair was at 10 volts, for example, and you try to start the engine, you would probably be lucky to have 6 or seven volts while cranking. A solid state ignition probably has a minimum voltage, and if you go below that it will not make sparks. I would have BOTH good batteries checked on a load tester AND check the alternator. Yes, you should be able to run for a while with just batteries.

Bulldog aka Ronnie

Cord 06-23-2003 08:11 AM

Although it proably gave a scare, it sounds like you're going to get off pretty easy. Install that new alternator and go boating! :cool: