Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How long to cruise NYC to Miami? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/52875-how-long-cruise-nyc-miami.html)

Panther 05-04-2007 08:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by sakoutis3 (Post 2115283)
It would cost me 1200 just to get to Atlantic City from Sandy Hook.

I did the run from Red Bank, NJ to Ft. Lauderdale (on the outside) about 7 years ago with my boss in a 60 ft. Viking. I think it cost about $2K a day for fuel and that was in 2000....

It took us 5 days, could have done it in less but we were having to much fun! :evilb: Once we got there we spent two days hanging around Ft. Lauderdale and playing at the local clubs. :chick: I just broke up a month before with a GF of 5 years....ya get the picture...

Man, that trip was one I'll never forget...my liver hurts thinking about it... When you're out to sea for 10 hrs a day..what else is there to do but drink beer... then when you get to port..what else is there to do but visit the local gentlemens clubs...:drink:

Bonus was being a hot bod judge at Shooters! :cool: The extra bonus was the chick I met in Las Olas...:drink:

Panther 05-04-2007 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:d

Panther 05-04-2007 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 2114885)
You will want to tuck in in Norfolk. Rounding Cape Hatteras is a nightmare, you will find yourself a good fifty miles off shore at one point. I always tuck in in when we run dowm, and that is in a 55' sport fish.

That was the only part we ran on the inside, and that was because there was a Tropical Storm out to sea. We thought about going thru the cut but not being familiar with it we opted to go out Ocracoke but still had to go around cape lookout. The picture I posted of the sunset was after we rounded Cape Lookout and were headed to Wrightsville Beach.

Panther 05-04-2007 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by hunster (Post 2114969)
Funny it only takes me an hour plus a little to run to the tappan zee from sandy hook. A little more from sandy hook to silver bay. I say very possible running 45-50! If you are in a old busted cruiser doing 16 kts youre never gonna get there.

It took me about 4 hours to run up to Catskill Creek in the Scarab, cruising at 50 mph and that's not even to the locks yet... So figure 2 hrs to AC, 4 hrs to where I went up to and another couple hours from Catskill, past Albany to the Lake... has to be at least a 10-12 hr day... :eek:

My family ran from NJ to Canada once and I think they made it a 2-3 day trip each way.

bouyhunter 05-04-2007 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by danh63 (Post 2116412)
that had to be a rough ride. Been caught in a few storms out there.

Yeah, I have a few good stories from Erie.
It'll turn on you quick.

J-Bonz 05-04-2007 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2116582)
It'll turn on you quick.

Agree.....................

GLH 05-05-2007 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Iggy (Post 2114943)
....from AC to Lk. Champlain in one day????........I don't think it's possible....

- Left AC at 4:30/5:00 AM

- There is 275 miles from AC to Troy took about 6-7 hours. Getting me there at Noon at the latest.

-Champlain Canal is a bunch of locks over 55 miles limited to 10MPH , I got out of the last Lock in Whitehall at 7:00 pm. I did go over 10 in some areas but just maybe 15 mph. Got spanked for speed at one lock since they know your time from one lock to the other, and the same operator runs both of those two locks, driving from one to the other...

Far from a impossible task. That Fountain ran Faster than a 36 Chris Craft is my bet.

GLH 05-05-2007 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 2116227)
GLH, would red happen to be your favorite color? That is a cool picture.

Matched my net worth...

Pete280 05-05-2007 06:21 AM

sounds like your bets paid off GLH, pretty impressive for anyone let alone a 24 yr old.

nocigarette 05-05-2007 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2116582)
It'll turn on you quick.

I have had a few scary days in erie myself.......

I did the trip from ny to north florida with my dad in a 38 bertram......I remember looking at mad dad and thinking he has to be the strongest man alive, one hand on the steering wheel and one on the throttles.....I was only about ten but i remember a lot about that trip.......