Never bring the Brother-In-Law!!!! >

Never bring the Brother-In-Law!!!!

Notices

Never bring the Brother-In-Law!!!!

Old 06-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never bring the Brother-In-Law!!!!

O.K. so a couple of years ago I pooch a motor during a poker run while my bro-in-law was on the boat. He wins the best hand and doesn't even chip in for gas Well Saturday I am running the big boat in a small/slow boat poker run, and I got bro-in-law, pop-in-law, and future sis-in-law(who has never been on a boat before) on board. Three quarters of the way through the run the port motor coughs a couple of times and starts to slow down. I bring it down to idle and it just cuts off. Try to start it and it cranks real slow, then won't even click So I limp back on the good motor and dock(interesting to say the least). At the dock I am getting no crank so I put the battery charger on for a bit. Motor cranks slow, but coughs, then starts with a little throttle. Then the noise comes on - LOUD noise. Shut it down, open the hatch, pool of oil under motor. And as an extra added bonus....a large chunk of cast iron the same color as the engine

Guess we'll see how fast we can get a reman engine and drop it in there-thank goodness access is easy to the engines.

So-moral of the story- NO FREAKIN BROTHER-IN-LAWS ON POKER RUNS!!!!!!!

Guess it's lucky both weren't on there or I would have crapped 2 motors
Old 06-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Registered

Location: Kentucky - where the women are so fast we have to put a governor on 'em!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a classic case of hydrolock to me. Motor was probably hard to crank because 1 or more cylinders were full of water. When you put the extra juice to it and got it to start is when the real damage was done. Probably bent a connecting rod and/or busted the crank, windowing the block in the process. Take a good look at the exhaust for that engine before you ruin a brand new crate engine.

Hope your luck gets better. Maybe you should just stick to taking friends out on the boat in the future and avoid the in-laws all together!