Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53014-wisconsin-noise-laws-per-mr-dick.html)

frequentflyer 06-24-2003 08:41 AM

Tommy..
I whole heartedly agree with you. I myself have posted on the alliance subject in the past although not directly related to noise issues. It was about the seatow operator that was found guilty of speeding through a Manatee zone even though he was doing so to get to a sinking boat. Environmental extremists are the ones behind this whole thing. There should be a membership organization kind of like the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) that actually lobbys for motorcyclist special interests and defends members in certain court cases. I think it's getting to the point that we need such an organization.

MARK BENTLEY 06-24-2003 08:43 AM

This has been a bad deal. I have dealt with this for years. I actually got a letter from them a few weeks ago asking for "voluntary cooperation" It was a joke. I have head several tickets from wardens who hate these boats. I actually had one sent to me in the mail with no contact. The bad thing is that with budget cuts, all the "good old boys" retired. Now we have a young group out to make a name for themselves. I could tell stories for hours about them. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on legal fees over the years fighting them. If they could just lose the attitudes.

Cord 06-24-2003 08:46 AM

I'd highly suggest that we start contacting out representatives in the government. I was trying to find some info on the new noise regs. I hadn't heard anything about this...

Little Tommy 06-24-2003 08:52 AM

Ron S.,
I agree that we should all show up in court Aug 6. we cannot continue to just pay these tickets without giving it a fight. we need to all take a stand on this issue. And I agree, the DNR needs to lose the attitude.
I brought up the Harley issue to this DNR and he basically blew me off. What a joke. If they are going to harass the powerboaters, then they better start giving tickets to each and every Harley that goes by my house. This is no joking matter.

Tommy

tomcat 06-24-2003 08:56 AM

New law passed in Canada and enforcable this summer. You must have mufflers unless you are 5 mi offshore. Since all boats start from shore I am assuming that operable mufflers are OK, but since most inland pleasure boating takes place within 5 miles of shore you might as well have fulltime mufflers.

This law was introduced by a member of parliament who represents an area of Ontario cottage country that includes some very high priced cottage real estate on relatively small lakes. In other words a handful of loud boats pissed off a handful of influential people including some high profile Hollywood celebs. So every performance boater now pays.

I live on a lake, actually a bay of Lake Simcoe, that is roughly 3 miles long and 1 mile wide. I love it when a fast boat heads up the bay. They run up the middle of the bay and you hear the rumble for maybe one minute, then they're gone. This happens maybe 10 times a day on the weekend. Contrast that with the dozens of PWCs that buzz up and down within a hundred yards of the shoreline all day long. Mufflers or not, the noise from the PWCs is without question more frequent, lasting and annoying.

Having said all that, I am actually in favour of fulltime mufflers since I like the idea of being quick and quiet, kind of a stealth thing. I'm also tired of repairing pneumatic cylinders and air compressors. But after we muffle our performance boats we're going after the PWCs.

MARK BENTLEY 06-24-2003 09:00 AM

One more thing. When Tommy Thompson was Governor, he had a rocky relationship with the DNR. He tried to keep them in line. We'll have to see how Doyle works out.

lucy 06-24-2003 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
does all this noise crap apply to race boats?

mrp 06-24-2003 09:58 AM

Mufflers going on this week. I went up to the Bridge Bar and back to Oshkosh and saw a boat pulled over near Winneconne and 2 other DNR talking off to the side. I managed to sneak by staying quiet with silent choice but from what I am hearing and seeing it is just a matter of time unless we do something about it. I hate giving in to these pricks but I'll put the mufflers on for now. Is CMI the way to go? I have a vortech charger so they need to breathe well.

liquidlocomotive 06-24-2003 09:59 AM

We also need to get the waterfront buisness's involved lose the boats they lose the customers.

liquidlocomotive 06-24-2003 10:03 AM

The biggest DNR prick is Mark Shepard. He has repeatedly said he wants all power boats off the water in the Oshkosh area. What is he doing giving noise tickets? isnt he there to watch the mating habits of crayfish, or something.