Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick) >

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Notices

Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Old 06-24-2003, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a noise ticket in Madison, WI a few years back. I agree with all of you that there is strength in numbers. At the very least if nobody goes with you Tommy, you go to your court date and express your disapproval, the judge SHOULD minimize the ticket. That's what happened for me....my $138 turned into a $50 just for showing up.

I also agree that the Harleys are out of hand but nothing is ever done about them. This is an excellent opportunity to contact your representatives and express your concerns with them.

Surprisingly I have not had any trouble on the Madison lakes with silent choice on in idle/no wake zones but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time as well.

You could always tell them that you have slip-in mufflers and MAKE them do the dB test. Typically you can ask questions like when was the last time the unit was calibrated, look for quirks in their method of testing (other ambient noise, not in the open, people, boats, traffic in the area, etc.)

Let me know what you decide with this and the outcomes you hear!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Registered

Check the Michigan noise thread for info on the SAE noise measurement standards and procedures. Not sure if they apply, but it might be helpful...
Old 06-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Registered

There where two WI law enforcment boats sitting by the lock near La Crosse WI this weekend. They didn't stop any of us or anyone that we saw. We had three singles and 3 twins and not an legal muffler in the group.

Glad the problem hasn't spread to this side of the state yet...
Old 06-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Just remember that Judge doesn't care about politics. He needs to determine if you were in volation of the law or not. Nothing more complicated than that.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How about if we put a petition list on the Oshkosh Thunder website that everyone can sign, and send it to key representatives from the State of Wisconsin and the DNR. The only way we are going to fight this thing is by strength in numbers. We should also find out how the Harley riders keep the heat off of thier backs. Someone must have talked to some key people, or they would be going through the same thing. Maybe we can at least get the DNR to give warnings with a specified time to get the problem fixed and then re-tested. They are almost impossible to work with, but if enough of us *****, we may get someplace. Just an idea...
Old 06-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Or before the we have a place on the website, I would be willing to gather a list of names if you want to email to Mark@OshkoshThunder. I am already getting a copy of all tickets issued to see if we can do something about this problem...
Old 06-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Registered

Biggist problem is because of the Madison chain of lakes and the people that live on the lakes don't want power boats on the lakes period. They go to the state assembly with their complaints and give big money to get their way. The people in state govenment then push through these laws hidden in some bigger legistration but include all state waterways. Then the DNR has there hot heads that inforce every little thing or have a grudge against one group or another and only inforce certain laws. Most though won't interfere unless someone calls in a complaint.

Grin
Old 06-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Registered

One thing that worked a few years back. If everyone pleaded innocent on the ticket and requested a jury trial, the judges got mad as it clogged the court calender. They slapped the wardens' hands. Note, this only works in a large group. With all lawsuits etc. the courts are extremely backlogged. If they haven't switched the laws, there are lot's of loopholes in it.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I'd sign!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They are a bunch of A$$'s up there and sure can ruin a good day out on the water.

RonS, where they pulling everyone over? on the river? or out on the big lake?.

I think it would be very wise to get a hold of the restaurants and taverns and let them know that the DNR is hassling boaters and that you will take your business elsewhere. The restaurant and tavern league is pretty big and they may have some influence on some big wigs who can damper down the water cops.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.