Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wisconsin noise laws (per MR. dick) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53014-wisconsin-noise-laws-per-mr-dick.html)

Mr. Demeanor 06-25-2003 03:48 PM

Both Prefered Stock and HP500efi agree that there is a real problem with the Harley's in posts above. I dont see where this is any different.

Most of you would also agree that the rice rocket cars with the Folgers can exhausts are anoying as hell.

Now if you guys really want to fight this thing, you should look into it as an infringment on rights under Freedom of Speech. The laws regulating loud car stereos in Illinois were recently found unconstitutional.

Ill bet alot of this would pass if all "no wake zones" were also "no above water exhaust" zones.

Last summer I was stuck behind one of our own board members in his triple big block monster as we idled through a long no wake zone for about half an hour. The boat was so loud that I really did get a headache and finally turned around. I had to change my day because of someone elses need to be heard. A few weeks later that same board member made a long post complaining about the unfair ticket he got for a noise violation and everyone jumped in and supported him.

What I would be in favor of instead of fines are compliance tickets. I think they serve to soften the relationship between law enforcement and the public. The ticket would give you a certain amount of time, maybe a month, to bring your boat into compliance. If you do, the fine is waived. If not, you pay the fine.

On my boat, my exhaust tips sit just under water at idle and come out as I come up on plane. Pretty simple design that could easily be incorporated into jsut about any boat. Why do you think they arent built that way? Because most buyers want to be seen and heard (reffering back to the "look at me types").

I also run lip in Basset baffles and Drew Marine Shotgun mufflers. I lost no more than 1mph.

Preferredstock 06-25-2003 04:11 PM

Jeff, No to new engines. My neighbor is looking to quiet his down. he has a place up in Winneconne and does not want to be harrased or offend anyone. Just likes to drive fast. So he's willing to spend the money to do it right. He just needs to find a muffler that works. I have the Silent Thunder from Formula, it seems to be work fine on my boat.

Bill

liquidlocomotive 06-25-2003 04:21 PM

does anyone know where the dnr boats are kept or what ramp is used to put them in. I wouldnt mind getting a meter reading on their outboards. sure would be great info to have.

Breathe Later 06-25-2003 04:32 PM

Mr. Demeanor /aka/ Intolerant1,

Why is it when people complain about bogus tickets and rant about useless enforcemnet of traffic, noise, etc. laws the cops always come out of the woodwork? Doctors, Lawyers and cops always defend one another. I don't really like loud car stereos with earthquake inducing base, loud Harleys, but I don't take delight in seeing them issued citations. Leave us the hell alone!

JROMY2 06-25-2003 04:35 PM

It really would make sense to get a group of manufacturer's, enthusiasts, racers, etc. together to actively fight the rediculous laws being passed around the country. The Bluewater environmental group can basically prance in wherever they want and with the help of one or two local people with money get anything passed unopposed. They tried a jet ski ban on Skaneateles Lake (which is in the middle of nowhere upstate NY) and almost succeeded. Luckily another couple local people and I were able to get the Watercraft Association made up of dealers/manufacturer's, etc. (which I can't remember the website of) to fight the ban with us. I personally feel we have to help keep jet skis legal (even with half of the morons that ride them) and join with them to fight all these laws. They are far greater in number than us AND, once they're gone we'll be next!

Steve_H 06-25-2003 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Demeanor

Most of you would also agree that the rice rocket cars with the Folgers can exhausts are anoying as hell.

yes they are but what about tolerance? just because i dont like it they should be banned? where does it all end?

On my boat, my exhaust tips sit just under water at idle and come out as I come up on plane. Pretty simple design that could easily be incorporated into jsut about any boat.

at what cost? $1000.00 , $2000.00?
very few people can easily afford to spend that kind of money after paying for gas , insurance and everything else that goes along with boating.

i say live and let live :(

ActiveThunderTodd 06-25-2003 06:09 PM

Rons,

empty your mail box

HyperBaja 06-25-2003 06:34 PM

I can see where they are coming from for a second...kid across the street has an eclipse with fart pipe, loud, always zooms off right as im in that twilight zone before sleep. Im not saying I dont like loud boats, that is completley opposite. Just be more curteous, think about what the normal person is doing now. If it is 6am, dont go running WFO through a narrow channel with houses on it.

I do believe that if the DNR wern't harassing beautiful boats, and they stopped that big Sea Ray over there, they would find open bottles of wine, or if they stopped those ski boats from teak surfing, they would have stopped people from dying.

We are good friends with a DNR officer, he likes fast boats to an extent, I asked him about the exhaust thing, he said he weighs in the following when doing a sound check
-Time (normal people are doing?)
-Location (residential or open water or marina)
-How you are driving the boat

If he sees you doing wreckless things, and are loud, will check you. Sees you revving up the t500hp at 7am in the marina, will check you.

We need to put an end to this, if this starts to get bad in Ohio, I will be with everyone else fighting it.

Tommy

Breathe Later 06-25-2003 07:08 PM

Mr Demeanor=Intolerant1 from a past life=small town Northern IL cop.

Check out his past posts under the screen name Intolerant1 and then do the math.

Mr. Demeanor 06-25-2003 08:09 PM

I'm not hiding anything. Whats your point?
Most everyone knows my previous screen name. It used to be in my signature. Yes, Im a cop. If you have a problem with me expressing my opinion on this or any other issue, feel free to ignore my posts. I dont argue over the interenet and that seems to be where your heading. Maybe I can buy you a beer sometime up on the Chain and you can tell me all about myself. What do you do for a living anyway? My opinoins here a based daily experiences with similar complaints concerning motor vehicles. I see both sides of the coin.