Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: - question about subwoofers... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53032-ot-question-about-subwoofers.html)

ThirdBird 06-25-2003 11:12 AM

Good thread!! Can I stick a question in here too? Good.

Have a Formula 311 and am planning to install a couple of 12" subs in the side compartments right next to the bolsters. One sub on each side of the boat facing the bolsters. Have 1400 watts to push them.

Question is: Will these speakers result in too much vibration of the hull sides? The hull sides will be acting as the back of the enclosure. I hate to hack-up my side panels only to find out it sounds like chit! Any comments?

Andy Buzz 06-25-2003 10:20 PM

To suggest the right sub, the first thing to determine is the type of music you listen to, then determine the tyoe of box that best suits your boat. Consider the amount of power and then you can determine which sub is best.

Each of the brands you mention offer different models some better than others. Some will sound better than others. Some will hold up better than others.

I can put together suggestions and a great deal for any OSOer on car home or marine audio systems. Feel free to call my office at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz

RollWithIt 06-30-2003 05:03 PM

I had two 10" Kicker subs mounted in my old Bayliner. They were mounted in closed boxes under the seats. Sound great. I am now getting two 12" Kicker Subs in my Baja. They will also be in closed boxes. The nice thing about the Kickers is that they are good quality speakers that sound great and are built for marine use. I have seen and heard many normal car speakers in boats that simply rot due to the moisture.

Rivercrazy 06-30-2003 05:49 PM

Stay away from free air. Build custom sealed or ported enclosures.

Stay away from the Sony's. They don't sound that great and have a rep for blowing easily.

If your gonna stay with the 5 channel amp and drive one sub with it. I'd go with a 12" sub with a high efficiency rating. 100watts to a sub really isnt that much....

You might consider adding one more amplifer to the mix. If you go this route, get a class D subwoofer amplifer. You could get a JBL bp600.1 for $200 -250 off an internet retailer. That way you could throw 300watts RMS to a single voice coil 4 ohm sub. And give you the ability to easily add one more similar woofer for 600watts RMS. It will sound cleaner that way

Andy Buzz 06-30-2003 08:01 PM

I offer white fiberglass sealed enclosures for $180 a piece. They look great, sound great and will last.

Waterfoul 06-30-2003 09:02 PM

I'm running a pair of JL Audio 10" in my truck and another pair in my boat. The ones in the truck are getting old (about 7-8 years I'd say, second vehicle they've been in) and are pretty beat up. BUT, they still sound great. No distortion despite my beating the crap out of them for years. The ones in the boat are being powered by a Rockford Fosgate Punch 45 amp and sound great until they beat against the stinkin 8" hole I have them mounted behind. I don't have grills for 10" subs so until I do I can't make the hole bigger (they are under the back seat and people hit them with their feet....will wreck them....so not going without covers!!). I love these JL subs. When I do replace the ones in my truck, they will be with more JL Audio subs.

'Foul

Budman 07-01-2003 11:17 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Waterfoul,

The shop where I bought my sub box has grilles to fit the JL's. They are a little deeper than the standard waffle grilles to accomodate the long throw of the JL's cone. Can you do any damage running them like that?

Blue by You 07-02-2003 12:49 PM

I've gone with the Sony Explod and yes I know there is much better out there. But for the price I could replace them every season and still be way ahead. I have friends who work at JL audio and thought about going that route but I know how they'll get knocked around on the boat.

Blue by You 07-02-2003 12:51 PM

My friends that is....