Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!!  Need help!!! >

Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Notices

Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Old 06-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't speak for freighters, as we don't have them on Barnegat Bay.
And I do agree, there is some common sense that should be required to operate a boat, which many boaters do not seem to have these days. (Point - your post about "Teak Surfing." Those people shouldn't be parents, let alone parents with boats.)
I'm sure it wasn't your point, but your post brought to mind an accident that happened in the ocean here in Jersey a couple years ago. This jackass named Barry Flowers ran over a small center console in broad daylight with a 60' Viking while cruising at or near full-throttle. He killed 3 of the smaller boats 4 occupants.
Most people believed was running on auto-pilot, and was not on the bridge. The jury did as well, since he was found guilty. His defense was that the small boat was un-seaworthy, and shouldn't have been out in the first place.
Sorry if I mis-interpreted your post.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Registered

No problem, jerks come in all sizes, We had a situation about a month back on a Sunday afternoon, 6 locals from Detroit rented a small aluminum boat that was rated for 4 adults, they went out fishing, minus two life vests, the boat capsized and one or two wound up dead (one was a boy about 12). Now the boys family
is suing the rental agency and is being represented by Jeffrey Feiger.
By the way where is Barnegat Bay, I grew up on Long Island and spent some summers on the Jersey Shore in Pt. Pleasant
Old 06-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pt Pleasant (I grew up there) is right near the top of Barnegat bay. 1 town south of Pt Pleasant is Bay head, which is at the head of, you guessed it, Barnegat Bay. Pretty creative, huh?

Rainmn, yep i remember that ass flowers. Claimed he didnt see the small grady white because he was looking in a ziplock bag of nav chips while on the flybridge. On that clear day he must have been looking for about 10 minutes. He was convicted of the lesser of the 2 charges, the more serious which would have come with some big jail time. And the settlement was only what his insurance would cover. That's a slap on the wrist in my book.

That's probably the first time ive used the phrase "ass flowers" in a sentence.......

Last edited by McGary911; 06-24-2003 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

That sucks.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Registered

Update, the police have found the boat involved in the Friday night incident, and it has been impounded. No more details at the moment.

Still looking for the boat that ran down the couple fishing on Sunday.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:34 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Bastards! I've got a rope Mike you pick the tree!
Old 06-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Registered

Troutly,

I believe that in Michigan, if you leave the scene it is a separate felony over and above anything related to injuries or death from the collision; Gary864 is a St. Clair County sheriff (where this occurred), he would know more. He's off today but should pop in here tonight or tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Registered

Hey, thanks to whichever board god 'stickied' this thread! For a minute, I thought I was losing my marbles...
Old 06-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hopefully the laws are strick, they are now in most states...

www.reindlpowerboats.com
Old 06-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Registered

When are people going to understand alcohol and driving does not mix, i know we all do it to some degree, but I see people every weekend just hammered and then they get in their boats and drive.

Well I finally got tired of it and hopped on all these boats and confiscated their keys and would not give them back till some one sober took responsibility.

If this is what we have to do we should all start doing it!

Quick Reply: Two hit-and-run accidents on Lake St. Clair this past weekend!!! Need help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.