Notices

O/T Home A/C Advice

Old 06-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send me a picture of it. I'll rework the photo to read the correct speed.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Registered

What I was really following is advice a friend gave me. He said set the thing on 78-79 and leave it. When we're in the house I normally like it around the 75 degree mark to feel really comfy, but then it seems like the unit is running a heck of a lot, thats why I bumped it up to 78-79. I think what I'll do is as you guys suggested.....buy a digital Tstat and go with that, it sounds great.

NASTY HABIT - you mentioned some stuff I can do myself...I'm all for that, just tell me how
Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Registered

I keep mine a 75, I have 2 4 ton carrier units. they stay on auto for 75. I have a 5200 sq ft house two floors 10 ceiling fans that I switch the way they spin for summer and winter and the ac/heat fans run 24/7 that way I have no cold/hot spots and cleaner air. My power bill's a very low and I have no problems but I do have to change the filters every month.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:51 PM
Registered

Humidity builds up if you leave the unit off during the day. Then the unit has to work harder to remove the humidity. It feels cooler when the air is dry, and is better for mold/mildew control.

All of the other posts about cooling the thermal mass are right, too. We have a digital thermostat programmed to 78 during the weekdays, and 74 in the evening. I sometimes set it manually down to about 72 before going to bed- it kicks back up automatically to 74 at 1:00 am and 78 at 7:30 am. Works great, and is better than letting the compressor run continuously for extended periods.

No noticeable difference in the electric bill, so that should tell you something, too.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is my business-- Keep the thermostat about 3 - 5 degrees higher when you are gone then turn it down to your normall temperature and it should only take an hour or two at the most to get there.
ALL air conditioners need regular maintenance. The condenser coil should be water washed yearly. Also if the furnace blower motor and the condenser fan motor are oilable that should be done also. The freon levels should be checked ( 134a is still a refrigerant the same as 22 or 12 ) it just has a different chemical make up. Freon is a brand name like FORD. I just got back just now from a service call ( my first overtime call under my own name) where if the condenser had been maintained I would not be replacing the condenser fan motor tomarrow. So instead of a $50 tune up they will pay an overtime call ($75) and still pay for that tune up and a new condenser fan motor. Total bill will be over $300.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Registered

I usually keep mine at 72 but I just switched mine on yesterday when I went to work and when I got home the house was still 81.
The unit was running but very little cold air was coming out.
That is why I'm up right now, I can't sleep. It's too damn hot in here !
I have someone coming out Saturday but by then the temps are supposed to be in the 70's Hopefully this isn't going to be a big expense.

Tinker,
I just read your post. Sounds like I could be in trouble. It's been five years and the only maintence I've done is turn it on when it gets hot out

Last edited by 26scarab; 06-24-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Registered

is the condenser coil clean if not spray it with water as strong as you can but DON"T bend the fins. also is your furnace filter clean? is their any ice arround the larger line that connects the inside coil to the outside condenser? If their is any ice turn the air off at the thermostat and turn the fan to on at the thermostat. let this run for an hour and then turn the a/c back on. if it still starts freezing up again it is probably low on freon. Good luck Steve

Last edited by Tinkerer; 06-24-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Steve. I will try and check it tommorrow. And yes I do need to change the furnace filter, it's been about a year.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:42 PM
Registered

If it is freezing up you want to turn it off now as you could do damage to the compressor it it runs TOO long.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:55 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

6month old Bryant unit with variable speed fan!!! Great unit, quiet and efficient. Old unit was a york, lasted 23 years and was still going strong but the wife said it didn't match the new siding and stamped concrete deck!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: O/T Home A/C Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.