Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Teak surfing, a dying sport or you better hold your breath (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53061-teak-surfing-dying-sport-you-better-hold-your-breath.html)

Allan4 06-24-2003 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Sydwayz
Many of the folks doing it are doing so behind INBOARD ski boats, with the prop beneath the boat, and well in front of the "surfers". Parents think this is safe because the prop is well under the boat. They obvisouly forget about the CO.

Why do you think they teach barefooters on the SIDE of a boat?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The prop on an inboard is about 12-15" from the transom, towards the front of the boat. It's pretty well hidden and is a non issue.

I can see how some guy might think it was cool to surf behind the swim platform wearing a barefoot suit or something. Hell, we used to barefoot off the transom of the boat with just the handle and about 6-7' of line....the line attached to a competition handle. HOwever, that was with flotation and with your head 6' above the water/exhaust. But to have kids out there with no freaking vests is juat about stupid as can be, regardless of CO knowledge or not.

I hate when parents are crappy parents......:(

ragtop409 06-24-2003 06:04 PM

Wally I am with ya LETS GET THE BATT. In 1998 I had a new Master Craft and I saw stupid people doing it back then. Sydwayz is rite about most inboards but hell when mine was running ritch I could smell it with 30 feet of rope would have never wanted to be just 2 feet off the back. Hell you might be likely to get scaled off the HOT water coming out the exhaust. Rag's

RumRunner 06-24-2003 07:15 PM

This just goes to prove that there is a god !!!

If it was for god these stupid idiots gene pool would have died out a long time ago !!!

D_Casten 06-24-2003 08:22 PM

http://www.partydocks.com/2003/images/teaksurf.jpg

Beyond the stupidity of the captain of the boat and the kids. How about the film crew that said “show us what has been killing people” “show us how you hang off the back of a boat and breathe the exhaust”

CigDaze 06-25-2003 07:22 AM

This is an outrage! How dare the boat manufacturer's so blatently and callously deceive the teak-surfing public by putting them in harm's way. What we need are 8' tall exhaust stacks that safely channel all gases safely away from the surfers. Not to mention prop guards. How in the world do they expect careless and negligent parents to safely tow their kids directly behind their family boats? Sign up now for the class-action suit.

I can it now, a lawyer to the rescue...:rolleyes:

Wally 06-25-2003 07:53 AM

Originally posted by Allan4

The prop on an inboard is about 12-15" from the transom, towards the front of the boat. It's pretty well hidden and is a non issue.

Ok...maybe that is the case on an inboard....but....when you get off plane and that wall of water comes back against the boat.....wouldnt that backflow of water push body parts down.....down and towarads the prop? i dont see how having the prop below the boat has any factor.

I can stand on the side of a big jet engine and technicly be safe......but would i do it? HELL NO! same thing here.....if people dont realize that they are 12" away from a spinning machetti(sp) that will take off any body part it touches well then they deserve to be missing parts. There is no way anyone should be sueing a manufacturer if people are useing the product in a way that it was not intended for! :mad:

I bet it was some white trash hillbilly that was skitching in the dirt roads of the mobile home park on the way to the boat that figured this one out!!! ;)

Allan4 06-25-2003 10:15 AM

Yeah Wally, you are 100% correct. Beleive me, I am in no way defending these clowns. I was just making it a point that in spite of all the things that could or could not go wrong how stupid it was to have kids out there behind the boat without vests on....while the boat is moving.

I jsut mentioned the prop being a non issue becuase that is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a moving boat, in this case, what they were doing probably would not have resulted in any harm from the prop, but yet there are 5 dozen other things that can/will go wrong other than that, resulting in death or massive injury.

You are correct, I agree totally.:)

Wally 06-25-2003 10:52 AM

Allan4, and i totaly agree with you on the thought process as well.......i will admit i thought the same way....but when it all comes down to it, no one shold be able to sue for stupidity for their own actions! if i burn myself with hot coffee well then ITS MY FAULT for being clumbsy!!! If my kid were to loose a foot for "teak skiing" or what ever they call it.....then the state should go after me for not haveing enough common sense for endangering my kids life!!! plain and simple!

Milord 06-25-2003 11:00 AM

I have a teak swim platform and 2 props ... anyone wanna try it?

WTF are people thinking .... god I hope everyone that has ever attemtped such a feat is f**king drunk. No one in their right mind would do this.

THRILLSEEKER 06-25-2003 11:10 AM

Hey Milord, sure I will try it, but only if you have surface drives:eek: ........I want my family to be filthy stinking ritch!:mad: ...

and if I am still alive be sure to have the hospital sew my head to my a$$ because that is where it belongs for doing something so stupid:D