Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   2004 Pontiac Gto! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53072-2004-pontiac-gto.html)

Waterfoul 01-19-2004 07:18 PM

You guys have to realize that the 04 GTO was not designed in the US, and is not built here either. It's Australian. Holden.

And I like it. So do the car magazines.

Waterfoul 01-19-2004 07:27 PM

Direct comparison right from the pages of Motor Trend Magazine:

1968 GTO
400 CI
360 hp
445 ft. lb. torque
4 speed manual
weight 3650 lbs.
0-60 6.5
1/4 mile 14.80 @ 96.00 mph
Braking 60-0 150 ft.

2004 GTO
346 CI
350 hp
365 ft. lb.
weight 3725 lbs.
6 speed manual
0-60 5.3
1/4 mile 13.62 @ 104.78 mph
Braking 60-0 120 ft.

So, jafo, what was the best time your cars ran in the quarter?? Seems to me the new car is pretty dang quick.

Waterfoul 01-19-2004 07:31 PM

Originally posted by MrOffshore
The new GTO is a complete and total joke...some people need to lose there jobs over this one, it's almost criminal.

The concepts were pretty nice...but the actual car is generic at best, nothing more than Pontiac has had for the past decade. It's overpriced and has nothing to do with its heritage...it's almost as bad as the compact LeMans they were running a few years back with a GTO sticker on it.

Might as well cut the losses now and run for the hills...destroy the equipment and close the factory. It just isn't fair that the execs let this go through knowing the factory will close in a year or twos production...all those people will lose their jobs.

Oh hell, I had something to say to this but it would fall on deaf Indianappolis ears anyway. IT'S NOT BUILT IN AMERICA.....that's for starters. Only the LS1 V8 is American and most of the interior.....so I guess that more or less makes it an Import?

Honda's are built in America, including the engines. Go buy one of them.... That plant will never go out of business.

Waterfoul 01-19-2004 08:08 PM

If I were a betting man (and I'm not), I'd bet the GTO sells well. I work in the auto industry, and have for many years.... forcast's are usually pretty good (the t-bird aside I guess), and the forcast we have for our business based on the GTO is pretty good. It's not a high production car.... kind of like the Corvette if you had to make a comparison I guess.

At least GM is putting a rear wheel drive coupe back on the market. Have not had one (other than a couple of Caddy's... one of them an Opel) for some time.

Mark D 01-20-2004 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Being a member of the GTO Association of America & former President of the 14th NW chapter, we are having a hard time welcoming this car to our circle.

Nearly nothing visual on this car resembles or even makes an attempt reminding the enthusiast of the rich heritage deserving of the GTO name.

This car doesn't even have hood scoops, which were a trademark of every GTO built from 1964-1974.

Rather than continue to digress, I'll end it with the thought of & looking forward to blowing the doors off one in my 1970 Judge.

open87 01-20-2004 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Organdonor
It reminds me of a mix between a Catara and Cavalier
lmao:D

Jan 01-20-2004 06:29 AM

Originally posted by PurePower
Being a member of the GTO Association of America & former President of the 14th NW chapter, we are having a hard time welcoming this car to our circle.

Nearly nothing visual on this car resembles or even makes an attempt reminding the enthusiast of the rich heritage deserving of the GTO name.

This car doesn't even have hood scoops, which were a trademark of every GTO built from 1964-1974.

Rather than continue to digress, I'll end it with the thought of & looking forward to blowing the doors off one in my 1970 Judge.

You brought up the 74 GTO. IMO that car is least deserving of the GTO Badge than any other GTO including the new 350"net"hp 2004 car.

And if your 70 Judge is an All Original car I do not believe in street trim you will blow the doors of the new GTO.

Jan

Formula Outlaw 01-20-2004 07:26 AM

Originally posted by HyperBaja
To bad its a ford.
That's what Enzo Ferrari said at Le Mans back in 66', when they came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd

Formula Outlaw 01-20-2004 07:36 AM

I owned a 70 Ram Air IV Judge convertible, with the factory exhaust cut out. Installed a set of Hooker headers. Ran one of the first sets of Goodyear "Blue Streaks" with Anson wheels. 4:33 gears in the back, M-22 "Rock-crusher". It ran consistent 12.8's/12/9's at the old Desoto Speedway in Bradenton, Fla. now the Bradento Auto Sports Park or something like that. The Gator nationals were held there for many years. It was not some local (optimistic timing system) track. It was a good one. If you can fine one with the Ram Air V motor, you've got a high 11 low 12 second car. Those things were 427 Vette killers. I've only seen two in my life. And the exhaust is like the Vette's.

45sonic 01-20-2004 07:55 AM

We have a 1998 Trans-Am Ram Air and a 2001 Corvette. At least they have unique lines and don't look like every other car out there.

Cheers!
Patti