Notices

Water tight amp box?

Old 06-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Aka8953121

Default Water tight amp box?

Anyone with a system in their boat have a secret for keeping the amp dry and cool? I was thinking of making a clear plastic cover of some sort to keep splashes off as I lost my last amp to moisture. Any tips/tricks?

TIA

Joe

Old 06-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts

where is the amp mounted that your getting mointure? I had my amps in the cabin of the boat and never had a problem.....I have installed a few under the back seat in a few boat with out problems either. If you have them in the engine compartment or exposed somewhere then i can see the need for something. But then the issue of keeping the amps cool would come into play!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wally
where is the amp mounted that your getting mointure? I had my amps in the cabin of the boat and never had a problem.....I have installed a few under the back seat in a few boat with out problems either. If you have them in the engine compartment or exposed somewhere then i can see the need for something. But then the issue of keeping the amps cool would come into play!
Yeah..But not water cooled!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Roger 1
Yeah..But not water cooled!
actually...... I have seen many amps water cooled!... PPI and a few others have water cooled amps. they are plumbed with fittings on each end and you run a glycol/water mix through it with a heat exchanger and water pump. Works GREAT! I helped do a show car that had these amps in it and we tinted the coolant blue to match the accents of the car, and ran it through clear plastic tubing.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:14 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ChrisK
actually...... I have seen many amps water cooled!... PPI and a few others have water cooled amps. they are plumbed with fittings on each end and you run a glycol/water mix through it with a heat exchanger and water pump. Works GREAT! I helped do a show car that had these amps in it and we tinted the coolant blue to match the accents of the car, and ran it through clear plastic tubing.
Sounds like a great Idea. I have never seen one before though.
who has them and do you have any pictures?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Registered

The PPIs that were water cooled had threaded fittings that you would connect stainless pipe to. In my NSX, I ran clear hose to the front where I added a motorcycle radiator and a 4" PVC pipe to hold the excess coolant with room for expansion. I did a few of these. The amp even had a thermostat to turn on the cooling pump as needed.

In a boat, this would be overkill and a delicate install. The best bet is to bolt the amp verticle for best heat dissipation and to protect the ends connectors and connections. You can make an abs, plexi, or starboard face to protect direct splash leaving the bottom and top open to let heat out. To improve cooling add a simple fan.

This type of install would not pass the long term reliability test but on boats that dont have cabins yet loud music is needed there is not a better alternative. I have done many jet boats with water deflecting amp covers and have gotten about three good years out of the amps. Bear in mind that the direct splash is one issue. The other is that people park the boat with a bilge full of water and then cover the boat for months. Condensation is the killer in that case. You cant fix that.

The only solution there is to get a great deal on an amp so that the loss is not as great. I have new Rockford Fosgate amps starting at $110 that are perfect for the abuse.
Good luck!!

Andy
Old 06-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Aka8953121

Thank you andy...GOOD advice!