Notices

WTF is wrong with this story?

Old 06-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WTF is wrong with this story?

Father, daughter swim 5 hours after shipwreck

Father, daughter swim 5 hours after shipwreck

MELBOURNE, Florida (AP) --A father and his 11-year-old daughter swam for five hours to shore after their 8-foot sailboat capsized in the Atlantic Ocean, authorities said.

Benjamin Dilalla Jr., 42, and his daughter Celeste were found Monday evening lying on the shores near Floridana Beach, said Brevard County Sheriff's Agent Gary Harrell.

Suffering from hypothermia, they were taken to a nearby hospital. A spokesman said the father was in fair condition Tuesday and the daughter was in good condition.

The two apparently began sailing late Sunday night.

Police began their search after noting Monday that Dilalla's truck had been parked overnight at a beach access. Investigators became even more concerned when debris washed ashore, including a seat, a mast and a pair of men's boots.

Dilalla's daughter told investigators she slept in the boat most of the night, but woke up in the morning to find it taking on water, Harrell said.

After the vessel overturned, she said they held on to the hull until they could see land, then began the five-hour swim to shore.
Out late at night, in the ocean, with an 11 year old, in an 8 foot boat, and far enough out that it takes 5 hours to swim in? Some people shouldn't breed....
Old 06-25-2003, 09:07 AM
Registered

The article in the Cleveland paper this morning said they swam 5 miles to shore. If that is the case it probably took longer then 5 hours. My thoughts were the same WTF were you thinking.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

The story in our paper said he thought the ocean coast was being poisoned an the only way to save his daughter was to go out to sea. He is obviously a troubled guy to put it mildly.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Dockrocker,
This guy has some problems!!

Hospital questions mental state of man involved in sailboat accident

Report: DeLand man thought poison gases were spreading across Florida

By Enrique Heredero
FLORIDA TODAY

MELBOURNE -- Hospital officials ordered a DeLand man held for mental evaluation Tuesday, a day after he swam ashore with his daughter from a sailing incident off Brevard County beaches, officials said.

The girl, 11-year-old Celeste Dilalla, was listed in good condition at Holmes Regional Medical Center on Tuesday afternoon. The state Department of Children and Family Services took temporary custody of her.

Benjamin Dilalla, Jr., 42, suffered from hypothermia and was kept at the hospital for mental evaluation "but I can't comment further on that," said Lisa Bourne, a spokeswoman for the Brevard County Sheriff's Office.

"He was the primary caretaker of the child, and he's in no shape to take care of her right now," said Agent Gary Harrell of Sheriff's Office. The girl's non-custodial mother lives in Boca Raton. She was unavailable for comment.

The Associated Press reported Harrell said the man thought poison gases were spreading across mainland Florida, and taking his daughter out to sea was the only way to save her.

Hypothermia can affect a person's mental state, said Orlando Dominguez, a spokesman for Brevard County Fire-Rescue, though the nature of Dilalla's mental condition was unclear.

Witnesses said Dilalla acted strangely before the incident and was in a hurry to go into the water, Harrell said. "He had been wearing a shower cap and said something about having to go in the water," Harrell said.

Brevard County Sheriff's Office officials said the pair swam through the ocean for several hours on Monday after their 8-foot sailboat capsized.

Dilalla picked up Celeste from her mother's home sometime early Sunday, Harrell said. Later, he parked his Ford F-150 truck at a beach access in Melbourne Beach and began sailing late Sunday.

Melbourne Beach police were suspicious when they found the truck at 12:30 a.m. Monday. They also found signs that a boat had been dragged to the water.

The situation became dire when a mast, boots and a seat washed ashore. It was later confirmed that this debris came from Dilalla's boat.

Authorities estimate the two swam for about six hours without flotation.

"That's a lot of swimming with no lifejacket," Bourne said.

Bourne said the Sheriff's Office has not yet recovered the boat, but it apparently was too small for the two people.

"The weight of the people is what made the water come in," Bourne said.

The two hung on to the capsized boat until they saw land and decided to swim to shore.

After a daylong search, an off-duty Melbourne fireman, Dan Willman, found the two Monday evening.

"I was sitting on the second floor deck of the house with my binoculars . . . it looked like crab trap floats, but it turned out to be two heads," Willman said, adding that both were nude.

"He was in bad shape. His teeth were chattering. He told me (Celeste) was on the sand dune. My son gave her his shirt," Willman said.

Bourne said no charges had been filed.

Rita Continenza, Benjamin's mother, said there was nothing especially troubling that deserved DCF intervention "that I am aware of", but added that she was grateful the two were found.

"I think it's a miracle that they survived," she said.

When asked about her son being evaluated, Continenza said she didn't think the news media should have that kind of information and ended the interview.

MD
Old 06-25-2003, 09:23 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

MILDLY!!!!! "F'd" in the head is more like it.!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:33 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Then again he owned a BLOBOAT!!!! Figure it out !!!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfrigginbelievable...

Problem 1) 8' Boat
Problem 2) Atlantic Ocean

-or-
Call me crazy, but there are some sick fukks out there...Maybe he was looking for a way out. You know, "have an accident." Stranger things have happened. I mean, remember that lady that drowned 5 of her kids.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Allan4

Speechless.......

Old 06-26-2003, 04:46 AM
Mad Hatter

The man was walking around in a shower cap?!