Another crazy boat dealer story

Notices

Another crazy boat dealer story

Old 06-28-2003, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another crazy boat dealer story

I'm chiilin out on the dock today(Saturday) with my shop phone forwarded here,a wealthy customer calls from 150 miles away,his new 370 Formula i sold him 4 weeks ago has a loud humming sound under the seat when he starts the port engine.Since the port outdrive was repaired 2 weeks ago I assummed it was the low gear lube alarm,tried to explain he should go to a local marina and fill the gear lube resovoir.He called again and said he couldn't get the engine hatch up to check the gear lube but he stopped the humming noise by kicking off the head blower breaker.I said see if the blower switch in the head is on,he checked and it was,so no problem.I am taking the phone off the hook till Monday The boat business can be fun if you don't let it get to you.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy your weekend
Old 06-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a good story for CA dealers. I am having coffee Friday morning and my phone rings. The guy says "I am calling about the 1988 Formula 233 you have listed. (Now this is odd considering I don't take listings, I only handle buyers.) I explained I did not know about the boat and the man proceeds to tell me "You are advertising it and should know a little about it." So I ask how he got my number. "The dealership gave it to me when I called about the add" he says.
So this is what happened. He saw an add posted from a local dealer I used to work for. He calls the number on the add and they tell him they will get him a salesperson. The receptionist connects him to my old desk where I guess my voicemail says I am out of the office and you can reach me by cell. I put that on there last November before I quite. I love it.
So I picked up a new client because he said they must be incompetent. Funny....
The bummer is some poor guy has that 233 listed with them and is paying 10% for WHAT?
Old 06-28-2003, 04:03 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me guess who "The Dealership" is..........
Old 06-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Phone is still off but I cannot close my boathouse and dock.Customer comes by at 3 PM as i'm making myself a rum and coke. Can I drill a couple of holes in his wakeboard tower and put in a couple of stainless steel screws? Sure, no problem while my ice melts. Stepson of a wealthy customer comes by at 3:30, my stepdad said you would let me try out the green Tige wakeboard boat. Sure,no problem as the ice is gone.Just now at 8:30 while I hope I can chill out there is a knock on the door, they have brought the Tige back, will probrably buy it Monday and we will be here Sunday morning to get the pontoon loaner you promised since stepdad's new pontoon won't be here till Monday,sure no problem as the ice melts again at 8:30 Sat nite at my home!As I have said before I wish I had a son so I could forbid him to be in the boat business.Kidding a lot of course, it's a lot of fun but sometimes it can get to you if you let it. I try not to let it.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

You're right,Cat. Will do that tomorrow. The upside to the stress is I have a choice tomorrow of a Donzi 38ZR or a Formula 382. Sometimes it makes up for all the hassles. Thanks for the good thoughts. Robert
Old 06-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

The 1968 Switzer Shooting Star will be my boat of choice on late afternoons with glass smooth water,hope to have it Wed,will give an update when I run it, the boat may be old, I may be old, but I don't have to be hi tech to have fun. Bob and Dave Switzer are still my favorite boat designers.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say Is Hat's off to Robert and his customer service.

But I was thinking Robert you did say you had 2 boats down there to choose from. I would gladly take the other one out for you. Even If I had to take the Donzi I wouldn't complain. Or hey maybe one day Formulafastech and myself will stop by for a rum/coke
Old 06-30-2003, 04:47 PM
Registered

Even after reading these complaints I still want to get out off my career and do the whole boat thing. Police work just isnt what it used to be. I would much rather work for myself. Besides, when you have a choice of boats like that to "borrow", how bad can it be?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Registered

We just bought a boatyard in Feb, what an eye opener. It NEVER stops, the people just keep coming. Every time that I complain, it seems that some little thing that you did for your customer just makes their day. I just had a guy go by my house and wave, we've tried to have him over for the last two months, and got him in the water on Sat. I Started out in the yard at 6am and didn't have a good day, this guy just made me smile. I wouldn't trade my new job (life) for anything......Well???? I still sell boats. If it's any consolation Magicfloat, people are still a pain here in Bermuda. I want, I want......turn the phone off and leave the yard.

Cheers,

Andy

Quick Reply: Another crazy boat dealer story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.