Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Questions for you guys who own multiple boats? >

Questions for you guys who own multiple boats?

Notices

Questions for you guys who own multiple boats?

Old 06-26-2003, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for you guys who own multiple boats?

I am considering buying another boat, but I am a little leary of the fact that I may not be able to spend enough time on both of them.

When you are out on the water enjoying one, do you find yourself constantly wishing you were on the other, and vise versa?

Basically what I am looking at is a glorified jet ski, a little rocket ship to take to the local flat water during the week to blow off some steam after work. Boating is my passion in life so even if I just get to use it once in a while I think it would be fine. I just wanted to get some opinions from those or you who have "been there, done that" before I ran out and bought this thing.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
diamonddaveF170

Hey,
If interested i have a 2002 27 Activator with a single 500 hp racing engine. it has about 36 hours on it. Am only selling since i have a new son. But I also have a 36 Gladiator. There is nothing wrong with having 2 boats as long as you enjoy both.
Will get rid of Activator for 65000 or best offer let me know.
David
732-803-1121

Old 06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Registered

TS,

I have a Skater and a FORMULA. Each serve their particular purpose very well. I rarely find myself wishing I had "the other" boat. I would be remiss to say that it has never happened. Certainly once or twice it has, but for the most part, I enjoy the Skater for what it is, performance. Poker Runs and the like. The Formula is great for tubing with my nephew or friends, going to dinner, cruising slowly and enjoying the beauty of teh lake and taking friends out to "see" the lake. So if this new venture will give you the opportunity to do some new things, why not go for it?
Old 06-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two also. I have a 1987 Donzi 22 Classic with a 454. It is used as a turn key stress free "classic" boat. My other is a 2001 American Offshore 2600 with a 502 (soon to be blown 502!). I use this as my "hot rod" that I am constantly upgrading and tweaking on. I really enjoy having 2 boats! Actually I have 3. I have a 77 Sanger Sprint jet waiting to be restored! That one will be fun to! JUST DO IT!
Old 06-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Got too many boats and not enough time.
I keep stuff for sentimental value and the odd chance that I might want to drag it out and use it for some reason or another..

I end up using the cruiser most of the time. Whole family likes it. It runs almost 40, so I can get anywhere relatively quickly. Has everything one would ever need, and we can spend 4 hours or 4 days on it without knowing ahead of time (closets stocked with clothes, etc.).

The Formula sits in dry storage unless I MAKE myself go get it. Took it out on 2 occasions last year. One to hold camera crew for a friend's boating segment for some celebrity hobby show. The other was a week at Lake Cumberland. Enjoyed the boat on both occasions, but that was the ENTIRE extent of its usage.

The jet skis get used sporadically, but are enjoyed when used.

The 13' Whaler has not been touched in 4 years, but this year is in the process of a total resto for my son.

The 16' padvee speeder hasn't been cranked since 1994, and the tunnelvee capsule boat is somewhere in Florida being enjoyed cause I lent it out 3 years ago and haven't seen it since (It had sat unused for 3 years prior to lending it out).

Too many boats is indeed a concern. You wonder if it is "fair" to the boat to be neglected like that (although I keep my more expensive boats in a1 condition all the time, except dust on the Formula cover).

I've been collecting parts for the Formula for a blower buildup for a couple of years now under the guise of wondering if I'll use it more if it runs 95...

Good luck with your decision. Two boats for different purposes is a nice thing. A handfull of boats gets to be a royal pain and causes grief...
Old 06-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I run the small boat during the week after work (on hoist behind house) Then I usually run the Big boat on the weekends. The kids tube behind the small boat. During the week it's allot quieter on the smaller lake too. Weekend on the small lake are very busy and dangerous.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Registered

I have (5)....soon to be (2), I hope. I want to keep the 22' Pathfinder for shallow water use and fishing and want a 36' CC for offshore fun. Anyone want to buy a 29' Extreme F1 boat, unrigged, a 29' Extreme Pleasure, unrigged, a 27' Baja w/ 509, etc..., or a 15' Key West ???? Wardey
Old 06-26-2003, 09:08 AM
Registered

I have 2 boats and love both of them. I take out the cruiser with the family or to stay the weekend. The gen set, a/c, tv, kitchen, head, etc. are a necessity for the wife and little boy. I take out the Hustler with friends, poker runs, etc. The Hustler is close by and I use it a lot on weeknights. I leave the cruiser at the lake (about 1 1/2 hours away). The amount of use is relative to your own opinion. I use and enjoy both. At times, when on the cruiser, I wish I were in the Hustler. Having both is the only way for me to have the Hustler...
Old 06-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Registered

Been there, done that. Had a 42' cruiser, 31' Chris Cat, and sea doo. I found that if I was just boating on the weekends, 2 boats were not worth the trouble. I would have to make time to use them both. Sold the cat.
But dont listen to me, I was just looking at another 31' cat to buy this spring. I'll never learn.
Gary
Old 06-26-2003, 09:15 AM
WickedWon

Got the big boat for events and "the Need" , a 36 CC/OB on the way and a 24' Pathfinder CC FOR FUN. I started out with small OB ( 13 Whaler ) 30 years ago, and can't be without one( the pathfinder is a "small" 24' flats boat, it only weighs 1500lb) Nothing keeps boating in perspective like a small, no hassle, no maintinance, hose out, CHEAP, OB. You'll be amazed how much you use it.

JD

Quick Reply: Questions for you guys who own multiple boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.