Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Crash on Ohio river / Dayton KY (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53302-crash-ohio-river-dayton-ky.html)

bouyhunter 06-28-2003 09:09 AM

Too Old - I agree with you 100%. I don't want licensing either, and it certainly doesn't ensure safety. The last thing I want is the Gov't getting more involved in our love and passion for water and WHEN PRUDENT.... speed.
It just scares me that people with a large bank account can go out and buy a machine capable of doing this kind of damage to a family and freinds - and he/she has no clue how to use it.
You are right that licesing will become a tax - we already have plenty of those (taxes....) and it won't change anything on the water.
2. Thats my point - it was reported on the news as a "50 cigarette". Why is it different because it was a speed boat (and I'm sure it wasn't a "50' cig". If there is a traffic accident - does it make a difference if its a lexus or subaru??? - where's the justice??

4. There will always be idiots - I think they keep inbreeding to make the idiot population even stronger.

The pics on TV were pretty graffic and that boat was a mess - torn up fiberglass, tempered windsheild glass all over the place... the people being carted to the ambulance were pretty bloody - nasty accident......

Just pissed me off when I saw it first thing this morning that someone is f-ing up the water and being irresponsible....

jpclear 06-28-2003 09:19 AM

We boat on a relatively small body of water here but, as noted earlier, most of these incidents occur after dark. (after drunk, too) Our local law prohibits "on plane" speeds over 10 mph after dark. It sure takes longer to get home and people have been known to fall overboard because they could'nt get to a restroom fast enough at that speed, and not everyone obeys the law, but there has not been a collision here involving anyone obeying that law here, ever! And although powerboat opponents have tried to spoil things, we can still go as fast as we want in daylight. --- Jer

birdog 06-28-2003 09:37 AM

There is a small "performance" boat group down here on the Ohio....Everybody knows what is running here......They will be found !!! Needless to say...I will be no-where near Cin. this weekend!! they will be stopping every Cig type boat around looking for this ******* !!! Somebody will turn him in !!!!

Turbojack 06-28-2003 09:41 AM

As was stated above it does not take someone with a big bank account to run over someone else in the dark.

I could have been me instead of "jbrauer" out after dark towing someone back in, even tho I always try to be back in before dark.

What is the answer, I don't know. The only think laws will do is make our live harder. I just cringe everytime when I am at the lake & hear a boat, performance or not running hard
after dark & I can not the boat.

After hearing jbrauer story of the boat not seeing him, I am going to put my Qbeam in my boat. Maybe if I flash lights in the guys eyes he will know I am there before he runs over me.

ChrisK 06-28-2003 09:58 AM

In the 2 links TopDJ posted, one article said the boat was 50-60 feet long and the other said it was 20 feet... there was other differences in the stories also... hmmm.. wonder what is true?

Allan4 06-28-2003 11:59 AM

OOOH NOOO!!!

Man.....this is the first I have heard of this wreck. I sure hope the victims are okay, that is just terrible. Man...it really hits you when it happens on your home turf. Dayton Kentucky is essentially right accross the river from donwtown Cincy, right in front of Watertown Yatch Club (for those of you who have been there). That area is always crowded, even after dark, but the city lights up the river VERY well and it was a clear night last night, so visibility should have been pretty good. The article says it was in between Watertown and B&B, right in that little straight away before the southern heading bend upriver.

I hate this sort of thing. They are going to REALLY crack down on us "aweful" high perf guys now. They usually leave us be, becasue we typically leave everyone else alone. Not sure who this is, and not even sure I know a boat with that description, but this guy is dangerous and needs to be punished.

Wow......what a bummer. Glad I was not out lastnight, I have a 24' white boat with red stripes and and yellow racing decals.....$100 says I get stopped next time I go out on the water and given a good once over.

Bird dog is correct....everyone knows everyone around here when it comes to high perf stuff, I doubt it was one of our crew, or we would have figrued it out by now. Probably someone else. I doubt highly it was a high perf boat or we would have an idea of who it is. Probably a normal run about boat, but someone thought it was bigger with all the confusion. I bet they'll find him within a week....

Just sad news, hope everyone is okay. Usually a bad wreck once a year on the river right in that area............

Before they make more rules...HOW ABOUT PUTTING LIHGHTS ON THE BARGES THAT ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE AT NIGHT????????? 400'-500' BARGES WITH 3 BOW LIGHTS!!!!!!! THOSE THINGS SHOULD BE LIT UP LIKE CHRISTMAS TREES.......AAAHHHDUUUHHHHH!!!!

Allan:(

Kentz 06-28-2003 07:40 PM

Was out today. KY & OH patrol every where. They have a job to do. The local news keeps saying "cigarette" boat. Now ALL of us will be chastized. It will probably turn out to be a 25 foot/single, its amazing how non-boaters view of boat lenghts grow at night. No one around here runs a 50 anything (well ,I have seen some big cats). It happened @ 11:30pm, just might be alcohol related?...............gee,do ya think!:mad: :mad

CigBoat 06-28-2003 08:27 PM

I talked to a buddy that was out last night he was downtown and west of town. He said that he did not see anything out that was over thirty and nothing that met that discription it will be interesting to see what it was.
All we can do now is pray for the people hurt and hope they catch the s.o.b.

jpclear 06-28-2003 08:28 PM

Kentz: Um, not to be picky, but I just happen to own a 25' single - 7' beam, 80+mph unit and I sure don't appreciate being put into the catagory of "It will probably turn out to be"!! Not all us little guys with low budgets are hit and run jerks. --- Jer

Kentz 06-28-2003 10:29 PM

jp - your right!, i did not mean to offend:( merely, that they are saying 45-50 foot "cigarette" which, I guess to me, meant typically a 30+ w/twins. The eleven o'clock news was filming today, no what they shot?, me running @3K, A 38' CIG, and a 26 ao cat, you know all the ones with thru-hulls, makes better coverage and promotes the powerboaters cause.:mad: I can hear the legislatures coming.