Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pulse Drives. Anybody using them on a 35' or larger? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53347-pulse-drives-anybody-using-them-35-larger.html)

Wally 09-09-2003 11:19 AM

any update on this?

imongo, how does the exhaust vent? looking at the slide show on the site it doesnt look like there where any holes cut for exhaust... ???

and with manuverabiltiy....how does it compare to outdrives? i can see the switching of forward and reverse when turning the boat should stay the same but with the props being fixed and just the rudders doing the turning hows it react?

Oh and one last question......i know with the pulse the props are shallower......but how about the draft of the whole assembly? i mean those rudders look to drop down deep.....

thanks

SS930 09-09-2003 11:29 AM

Okay, I'm ignorant... what are pulse drives?

TIA!

Iggy 09-09-2003 11:36 AM

but with the props being fixed and just the rudders doing the turning hows it react?
I would imagine it turns just like any twin inboard. At idle speed you can use the engines to steer. My dad's 36' Chris Caft could turn in her own length using just the engines.

......but how about the draft of the whole assembly? i mean those rudders look to drop down deep.....
The whole assembly, platform, rudders and props trim up and down as a unit. There has to less in the water than an outdrive would have.

Wally 09-09-2003 11:47 AM

iggy, i do know about the whole unit trimming up and down....but its only a few inches from what i understand. (or so i remember reading someplace) But the thing is....the whole unit hangs father off the back of the boat.....thus when the boat sits in the water its draft with the rudders would be deeper. Look at the pic of Doc's boat below......it looks to me like the rudders are about the same depth as the drive would have been......ok maybe a little shorter.......but since they have been moved back some it makes them sit deeper...think about it. Maybe i'm looking at it wrong?

Payton 09-09-2003 11:49 AM

Also the exhaust can be routed ito the swimm platform. Then it exits under water at idle speeds and aove water when up on plane. I believe Imongo and Doc Santiago both kept the stock thru hull eshaust.

SS930, click on the Pulsed drive link here on OSO. It is a surfacing drive that can be trimed up and down. It turns with a rudder that is directly behind the prop. Makes low speed handling ( foreward and reverse) very good.

Wally 09-09-2003 11:50 AM

SS930, the pulse drive is a surface drive... you can check them out at www.pulsedrive.net

Payton 09-09-2003 11:53 AM

Wally, I believe that they rim more than a couple of inches. I rode on a PSI drive boat last winter. It seems like the back of the platform moved 6" or more.

DEFYN GRAVITY 09-09-2003 12:14 PM

Terry, How is it going???? Powerplay has a 38' with Yanmars 440's Pulse drives, 78 MPH out of the box! I don't know how it's doing though, it was delivered back in April. I will try and find out more info! Blue Skies, Robbie

PULSEDRIVE 09-09-2003 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DEFY'N GRAVITY

I don't believe the Yanmar Powerplay was a Pulse Drive boat. We have done a number of gas Powerplays that do run great.

30% of our world wide sales are with Yanmars, they have a great power to weight ratio.

The drives trim a total of 6 degrees

Rik 09-09-2003 10:28 PM

The "Powerplay" has Arneson Surface Drives....