Notices

Big Impact???

Old 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
patrick22309

Default Big Impact???

Yesterday, the wife and I hit one of those out of nowhere holly **** rollers that sent our 23ft stingray into the air at about 40mph and we made a very hard re-entry. Also, two weeks ago we got caught in a storm on the potomac and it really took some abuse that wasn't by choice.

My question is, how much abuse can a hull with stand before it cracks? I assume since this is the newer sport model, it is built to take some abuse and I don't go looking for the rollers and usually trims down and slow down for the really big ones. Do the manufacturers design a boat to withstand certain conditions?

Old 06-30-2003, 12:05 PM
patrick22309

Stingray has a really good web site, but give no limit details to their hulls. You are correct about the speed of there hulls!!!! They are FAST!!!! I think stingray would beat most other builders hulls with the same power setup. I think there limiting factor is water conditions and the ability to handle the rough stuff.

Old 06-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my personal experience...the hull failed shortly after there was 4' of air under the skeg. Does that answer your question?
Old 06-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer your question, yes, there are limits and boats do break. Family sport boats break, production and custom boats break, and even full-fledged race boats can and will break. It is difficult to quantify in terms of seas or conditions; engineers design with inertial loading factors. Approximations and assumptions can be made about how a particular boat will be used and where, but with the ocean being such an unpredictable envelope, you can't account for all of it. Not to mention, limitations on practicality; you can build an indestructible brick that handles like a brick, or optimize a lightweight structure for speed but sacrifice strength.

Use common sense and keep an eye out for any unusual noises, flexing or cracks showing up in places.

And don't bother looking for a limitations page. I've never seen anyone make claims for intended use or limitations. If would be foolish to do so.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:29 PM
patrick22309

I guess I should be OK...... Don't think I will/want to see 4' of air under my skeg now or in the future. I only boat on the potomac river the biggest water I see is off those big cabin cruiser displacement hulls which I really try to avoid if the channel/tides permit.