Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can I get a ride in an OB Skater ? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53412-can-i-get-ride-ob-skater.html)

GregP 06-30-2003 09:15 AM

Can I get a ride in an OB Skater ?

On the never ending (for any boat owner) search for what boat I want to get next I'm starting to narrow in on a 32' outboard powered Skater as the prime candidate (there is a nice looking one in the OSO classifieds as an example). I think a 28 would be too small for my taste, and the 36 hasn't been around long enough to fall into my price range.

I've decided to dump a cabin (the Formula has a great one ... but we've never used it, nor had the original owner who I bought the boat from), and look at outboards for easier service (without hanging upside down in the bilge which I'm getting too old for) and hopefully quiter at-idle noise levels. I've followed the OB CC thread and agree with most of the reasons guys are looking toward them, except I would like to go up in speed a little. I'm not really interested in 100+ speeds, but want something that will reliably cruise at 60 mph all day long.

Problem is, I've never been in a big cat nor a boat with multi-outboards and I'd like to make sure that I would like one before getting seriously involved in selling the current ride (it's much too nice to let go and then wish I had back). If there is anyone on the Chesapeake Bay who would like to trade some gas and/or beer for a demonstration ride sometime please drop me a IM or e-mail.

Thanks - Greg

Sydwayz 06-30-2003 09:38 AM

Also, try to look up 'skater' from here on OSO. Mark House, who races S-69 Bodyguard. I think he has 3 skaters in his stable right now, as well as his 37AT. He lives in Culpeper, VA, and could not be nicer. Try calling Outlaw Motorsports in Culpeper, VA; his business.

Cord 06-30-2003 09:48 AM

Be sure you can get out in the rough. My boat is really impressive in the rough. You can literally get on top and run above the water. You'll see somthing coming and it'll be "Oh-sh..." and nothing happens. The only problem is that you'll catch a rouge wave and then you're flying. I don't know about other cats, but mine lands really, really hard. The hull makes so much lift that it just slaps the water on landing. More than one time I've landed and it hurt.

mr_velocity 06-30-2003 11:03 AM

If it were me, 32 (new style) Skater with 500EFIs and #6 drives. Bravos if you're on a budget. Just had this discussion this morning with a friend.

Either way you'll love the ride of a skater, my next boat will definitely be one!!!

Steve Armstrong 06-30-2003 02:35 PM

I have a 32' with late model 2.5's- I have not condsidered selling it, but I may. Call me at 727-423-1703 Steve
P.S.- You can see my boat inside the 2003 Mercury Hi- Performance catalog- it's also on the Mercury tv commercial that they run during the offshore races.

GregP 06-30-2003 02:43 PM

Steve, Thanks but since I haven't sold my current boat I'm not "quite" in the market/search mode yet. I would like to talk with you about how you like the boat though if it's alright.

-Greg