Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   The"T" word and boat sales (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53514-t-word-boat-sales.html)

GregP 07-01-2003 09:30 AM

The"T" word and boat sales

Since there are several dealers on the forum I would like to ask their experince on "Does the word "TRADE-IN" ever really show up in used boat sales?"

Thanks - Greg

GregP 07-01-2003 09:57 AM

Just wondering if there is really any possibility of finding a new "used" boat and trading the current one instead of having to sell it then be boatless while looking. I don't see many "used" boats that dealers own (unless I just don't know it is a dealers boat), just brokerage ... and I don't "think" I can do a trade if it's a boat they are brokering.

-Greg

IDRPSTF 07-01-2003 11:26 AM

If you are looking to get a new boat, trades are usually a possibility. If you go to a boat dealer that has new and used boats on there lot make sure the used boats are owned by the dealer. If they are brokerage boats the odds of the dealer buying your trade are slim to none. The Odds of the Brokerage boat seller taking your boat are even lower. If you do find someone to take your boat on trade, remember: They have to now make money on the boat they are selling you...and your boat they took in. When I was working for a dealer I would have about 1 call per day in the summer for trade ins. They offer $10K less for my inventory boat and want $10K over High NADA for there trade. And all this over the phone from 3000 miles away. My point, make it realistic and you may make a deal. If the prices are not in the dealers favor, you are waisting you and there time.

Griff 07-01-2003 11:35 AM

Probably at least half the people who buy a new boat trade in the old one. That leaves a lot of used boats that dealers will own. Most of the well taken care of boats that are priced right will go fast though. Also, you have to move up significantly to make it worth while to the dealer to take your trade. If you want to trade in a 40k boat for a 50k then odds are it won't happen. Another reason for the amount of brokered boats is because the owner alredy got a new boat and couldn't get enough on trade or the dealer wouldn't take it against what they were buying. So, instead they buy a new boat from the dealer and broker the old one with him.

GregP 07-01-2003 11:43 AM

Griff,

I know that is at least "part" of the problem, I'm only looking to move up in cost maybe $20-25k. If I wanted a $100k step I'm pretty sure I could find quite a few places interested.

-Greg

shawn 07-01-2003 11:48 AM

I traded my 30' Spectre on a 36' Spectre through Randy Sweers of Florida Power Boats and had a VERY good experience. Both my trade price on the 30 and Randy's sell price on the 36 were fair and reasonable. Both were used boats in similar condition.
I recommend Randy and would go back and deal with him and his staff in the future.
I really think the trade needs to be somewhat in demand and you need to be realistic in your pricing, just as the broker needs to be realistic in his pricing. In my case, we both were realistic and the deal went well. Good luck.

Shawn

GregP 07-01-2003 12:00 PM

Shawn,

I know the list of buyers for 20 year old (almost) boats is pretty small ... regardless of condition. One problem I have is trying to get an honest assessment of what it would be worth as the NADA and BUC both seem pretty worthless (since one is $32k and the other $90k <LOL>). I think there were about 12 of these things made, and I've probably seen half of them listed for sale at one time or another, but have no way of knowing what they actually sold for, or even if they sold.

I was browsing my 1994 Powerboat to read the test on a 32 outboard Skater last night and am pretty sure I saw the ad for what is now my boat in the back (same description, the right number of hours, in NY where I bought it) and since I know it sat for quite a while before I bought it, it may have been the last time it was used.

-Greg

shawn 07-01-2003 12:10 PM

Greg, what boat are you trying to sell? What do you want to buy?

Shawn

GregP 07-01-2003 12:19 PM

I have a 1984 Formula F-402 (see the sig link) and think I want to migrate to a 32-35 foot outboard cat (nice 60 mph cruise all day, no upside down in the bilge for normal maintenance, and I've never used the cabin on my boat).

-Greg