If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    New Hampshuu !!

Smile OT: C-5 trouble !!!

NORFOLK -- One of the military's largest transport aircraft was stuck on a runway on the I-564 overpass for more than 16 hours the other day, unable to turn around at the west end of Chambers Field at Norfolk Naval Station.

The incident, beginning around 1 a.m., closed the field for most of the day to all but helicopter traffic and made for a dramatic sight to hundreds of motorists passing beneath it during the morning rush hour.

"That thing's like a big building sitting there," said some motorists.

The aircraft's nose was so far over the end of the ramp, the crew could not see the runway where they were supposed to turn around. The pilot stopped the aircraft and prevented it from running off the ramp.

The Air Force C-5 Galaxy, largest airplane in the Free World, is almost as long as a football field and as high as a six-story building.

At 420 tons with a full load, it uses a system of 28 wheels to distribute its weight. The aircraft spent most of the day waiting for a specially made tow bar to be trucked Dover, Del. The tow bar arrived about noon and was used to hook the C-5 to a tractor so the aircraft could be turned around.

The plane was moved off the runway by 4:30 p.m.; no one was hurt, and the plane was not damaged.

Take a look !!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Wow! I'll bet that caused some major rubbernecking.

Charter Member #1251 Charter Member BAJA342's Avatar
    My Boats:
    performace boating, nascar, hockey
    wilm. de.
    Been out fishing on the Delaware bay when they to fly overs. What a site. Also Rt13 next to D.A.F.B. coming in for a landing is another thing to see.

My Boats:
    1993 Cigarette Top Gun
    Kankakee Illinois
    Is the pilot still doing push ups?

My Boats:
    Zodiac RIB
    Grand Haven, MI USA
    A special bar?? What about the one the Pilot was just at I am sure someone must have had a yellow snatch strap in their trunk.

My Boats:
    38 Fountain SC
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Looks like he barely got it stopped. Bet he landed hot and thought he could stop before the end. Don't think he meant to get it that close.