Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mobile Yamaha mechanic in Annapolis? >

Mobile Yamaha mechanic in Annapolis?

Notices

Mobile Yamaha mechanic in Annapolis?

Old 06-22-2004, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Yamaha mechanic in Annapolis?

Anyone know a good mobile Yamaha outboard mechanic near Annapolis? (Yes, I've also asked over on S&F and on the Florida fishing board too, but they are a "little" out of the area).

One of the Yamaha outboards (1993 carburated 250's) on the new cc randomly starts or doesn't and I don't know where to even start for diagnosing it's prime/start system. Started fine several times (I checked) before I put the boat in the water, and fired right up the first time after it was dropped in. It stalled and would not restart. Next day it only starts if you treate it as flooded. Next day it started several times just fine. Last night changed the plugs (although the old ones also looked practically new) and again it started fine the first time, but would not restart without starting as flooded again once it was warmed up. Once it is running it runs fine (since I upped the idle setting to specs), but I can't count on being able to restart it if I need to shut it down for any reason so I have been afraid to take it out for a ride.

I'm sure it is "something" in the pump/solenoid/sensor that controls the cold start and fast idle, but what? Have the maunals on the way from Yamaha which may help, but I'm sure some Yamaha mechanics must have run into this before and already know which part of the system is the culpret.

I'd sure like to get this fixed before the weekend, I havn't even gotten to run it once yet since I got it!

-Greg
Old 06-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Faster!

Default Re: Mobile Yamaha mechanic in Annapolis?

I had a similar problem on a newer (2001) Yamaha. Had to replace the prime start (choke) module. Still has the hard start problem sometimes. I found if I pull the carb float bowl plugs and pump the fuel line bulb to clear out the carbs it will start (PITA).

Not sure about your choke system, on mine I have to push the key in to prime. I found that if I cracked the throttle before cranking it would crap out everytime. Try starting without cracking the throttle.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Mine doesn't have the push-key (I checked) and I don't open the throttle before starting (except when it has already failed to start and I try to start it as flooded). I've looked at the parts list online, but havn't seen a prime start control module, just the complete ignition module.

Thanks - Greg
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Registered

Are you on a trailer or in the water? I don't know that dside o fthe bridge, but try Sealing Marine, Sealing.com. they sell Yamaha's and I think they do Mobil Service. Try CBPBA.com also
Old 06-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Registered

It's on my lift. I do have a trailer (for now, until I can sell it), but my truck isn't really up to the task of pulling that much boat. It's also quite a long idle on just the stbd motor to get to a ramp big enough to actually pull it out. I'm "hoping" I can avoid all of that hassle and find someone to fix it where it is.

I'll take a look at sealingmarine.com.

Thanks - Greg
Old 06-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered

Have you tried the Maytag repairman?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Registered

Carefull there, I may just have an uncontrollable urge to go to Illinois and un-dent a bunch of cars <LOL>