Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How long will an offshore boat live? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53670-how-long-will-offshore-boat-live.html)

Scott72 07-03-2003 10:48 AM

I think a lot also depends upon the design of the boat. Some offshore boats are just built better than others. Also, I think things like keeping the bildge dry account for a lot. Most of the boats I see coming out of the water for rack storage look like they have tons of water in the bildge when the drain plug is pulled.

cuda 07-03-2003 11:04 AM

I am restoring a 1981 Formula. When I changed outdrives, the transom was solid as the day it was built. None of the upholstery had rips in it, but some stitching was loose. I have taken the interior completely apart, and all the panels are still solid, some of the screws still look like brand new. The more I get into this boat, the more I'm impressed with the construction of it.

HiPerf2000 07-03-2003 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The key is to check with a moisture meter. that will tell all.

My buddy bought a 95 35 foutain last season and pulled the motors over the winter. found everything was saturated!!! It was mainly due to the poor rigging of the place that rigged it last. they drilled holes without protecting them etc. He took out everything that was in the engine compartment as well as everything bolted to the transom and has spent all winter trying to "dry" the stringers and transom....they finally finished re-fiberglassing and gelcoating last week.

here is a pic of the center stringer stripped to allow it to dry. they had heaters on it all winter.

HiPerf2000 07-03-2003 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
have you ever seen a transome butchered like this before? i guess the made it easy to get to the gimble bolt, but they never re-gelcoated after the butcher.

32storm 07-03-2003 11:48 AM

I don't think you can generalize in life expectancy. Simply way too many variables, including quality from manufacturer to manufacturer. Has it been rack stored, in a wet slip, on hydro-hoist, boat house, or been trailered? Stored indoors or outdoors? Heated storage in winter? Bilge wet or dry? How many boats have drainage issues from rain,etc? How many boats have bilge bump that sits up a few inches, so always water in bilge? Had a neighbor look at a low hour 1988 boat last year that was stored on slings in a covered boat house. Failed survey! Had rotted stringers in engine compartment! Bilge was bone dry!

JUSTONCE 07-03-2003 11:57 AM

until I drive it. :D

Ron P 07-03-2003 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets see if we can this old girl kicking again too.

BODYSHOT1 07-03-2003 01:10 PM

..she's kickin' allright!...just have to get her outta the "corral" :rolleyes: :D

Cord 07-04-2003 07:18 AM

Originally posted by hi-perf-2000
The key is to check with a moisture meter. that will tell all.

My buddy bought a 95 35 foutain last season and pulled the motors over the winter. found everything was saturated!!! It was mainly due to the poor rigging of the place that rigged it last. they drilled holes without protecting them etc. He took out everything that was in the engine compartment as well as everything bolted to the transom and has spent all winter trying to "dry" the stringers and transom....they finally finished re-fiberglassing and gelcoating last week.

here is a pic of the center stringer stripped to allow it to dry. they had heaters on it all winter.

Despite your buddy's best efforts, that boat is still saturated. Once that moisture works it's way in there, it's trapped for good.

hugetime1 07-04-2003 09:54 PM

a boat should last no more than one year if you drive it right, lol