Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat hook (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53804-boat-hook.html)

vagrant 07-07-2003 08:58 AM

Boat hook

My trailer that our sonic sits on is about 2-3ft to short. I was told this will cause the boat to have a hook in it . This trailer is a temp
trailer until we can find another one that fits. Is there truth to this? I don't know how long the boat has been on this trailer.

David

mr_velocity 07-07-2003 09:02 AM

Reggie and someone at the Cig factory said it was true. I had called about how to properly "bunk" their boats on lifts. They both said the transom MUST be supported.

bobby daniels 07-07-2003 10:34 AM

Yes Dave the transom has to be supported as said above !!!!

Ron P 07-07-2003 10:38 AM

Put a straight edge against the bottom and see if there is any hook in it now.

The transom must be supported!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6" too short would be bad enough but 2 or 3 feet???? Dude you need a new trailer or longer bunks.

jpclear 07-07-2003 10:49 AM

While parked, lower the trailer tongue jack, put support blocking under the stern where engine stringers meet transom, raise the tongue until the blocking supports a good share or weight, and go shopping for the right trailer or someone to correct yours. I can attest to just how much fun that it's NOT to strip and flip these kinds of boats to remove a hook that resulted from improper storage! And I don't care HOW WELL your hull was built, It just wasn't made to have it's heaviest three feet cantilevered out unsupported! --- Jer

DEVIL MAN 07-07-2003 10:53 AM

The boys are right...with the engines, transimissions and all the weight of the drives, there is a constant load on the transom and without support to the edge of the hull, your boat will sag at the transom and create a hook in your bottom...the longer it is unsupported, the greater the hook...it will affect performance and the speed of your boat. You can line up your eyes with the edge of the bottom of your boat or with the outer strakes and you will be able to see if your bottom is straight or if there is a downward curve towards the transom...very easy to see on most boats...even without a straight edge. In the meantime, find some way to support the back edge and take the weight off of the back edge. Good luck.

DMan

vagrant 07-07-2003 12:33 PM

Thanks I am trailer shopping now. 42 sonic

CESSNA 07-07-2003 03:16 PM

just call myco get bill tweety to build you one ,you will love it

Sydwayz 07-07-2003 04:09 PM

Can you extend the bunks and build some supports to support the last couple feet of extended bunks?

vagrant 07-07-2003 04:25 PM

Brian I think I can for a temp fix I will try to post a pic and show what I am talking about
Thanks