Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Intercoms, Kids and High Performance boating tips! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/53858-intercoms-kids-high-performance-boating-tips.html)

turbosonic1 07-07-2003 07:42 PM

Intercoms, Kids and High Performance boating tips!

1 Attachment(s)
A few tips we have learned for high performance boating with kids.

A few years ago I ordered some goggles for my kids from www.overtons.com, these revolutionized our family boating. Both of my kids complained about the wind and brightness on the water, the goggles from Overtons (31301 - Gladiator Sport Goggles) keep the wind out and minimize the glare, my youngest started to wear them at two years old. Even passengers and friends wear them, it makes high performance boating better when they can see and are not nervous. My kids always wear them now!

Just recently I installed a Radio Labs 6 person Intercom in our Formula 382. The front three headsets use throat microphones and have zero wind noise! These are the best, they take a second longer to put on but work great. The rear headsets are the boom mic style shown below. I have them so the mic's are "open" or always on. The kids and riders can talk freely and there is minimum wind noise in the back seat. Again the kids love it because they can now talk as we are underway. They have a velco strap to adjust the elevation, it fits my 4 year old perfectly!

I know many people let the kids slow them down in high performance boating, they make excuses like "well the kids"…. blah…blah…blah… bullpucky!

It doesn't need to be so. I hope this helps some other family boaters, if you know someone who this may apply to pass it on! It has worked great for us.

nauticaL ILLUSIONS 07-07-2003 07:49 PM

Great post. My 3 year od needs a pair of the goggles but the mic??? If I can't hear my wife yelling to slow down.......is she really making a sound!!!

turbosonic1 07-07-2003 08:25 PM

Intercom also plugs into Helmets

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot to mention that the same intercom and throat mics are used with the helmet for racing. We have a black box on the side of the helmet that the throat mic and ear plugs plug into. It is a great set up!

Peconic 07-07-2003 08:42 PM

Turbo: Please give a source for intercoms etc. I'm especially interested in those throat mikes.

Qball 07-07-2003 10:17 PM

Call Todd at Revolution Marine. I got a set from them for racing and it came with the throat mics and ear plugs.......very sweet set -up. I'm not exactly sure the cost but I would venture around 1,500 for a set of four. We are going to be using them in Atlantic City in 2 weeks....we will let ya know how they do. Keith

turbosonic1 07-08-2003 09:10 PM

Call Mark Foster Radio Labs/ Solder Joint
800-914-4680 or714-997-8535

Good Luck!

Peconic 07-08-2003 09:39 PM

Thanks, guys.